Going up another storey, possibly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I’m new to this forum but have a few questions that I need answers or suggestions to(keep ‘m clean).
I live in a 4 bedroom mid-terraced house with a largish single storey extension to the rear of the property. The old lean to (toilet & coal shed) were knocked down and an 18ft extension built which has a 4ft utility room and the rest is a bathroom.
We built this extension many years ago, approx 1976, at the time when the authorities started making you put footings in for 2 storeys even though we were only going I storey. This extension has a flat roof on. We still live in this house and have considered going up the other storey and pitch roof to accommodate a workshop for my retirement that could be converted easily to another bedroom when I no longer need it.
We went through building regs. at the time and everything was done above board.
My questions are:-
1. Can I just start building up the other storey?
2. Do I need to go to planning again?
3. Do I need to get letters from neighbours?
4. If I can’t go up in brick etc can I do it in timber?

Any suggestions please and thanks.

UKTech

Sponsored Links
1 No - you need planning and building regulation permissions and need to confirm that the existing extension is adequate to take a 2nd storey

2. Yes

3. No

4. You can use timber

BTW, planners don't like 2nd storey extensions on terraced houses - check you local policy

Thanks, that will get me thinking especially about the PA not liking 2nd storey extensions.
This gives me a good start.

UKTech
:cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back