Goldtrowl DVDs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been looking on E-bay for some plastering DVDs, Are the goldtrowl ones any good?

Im wanting to learn to plaster, obviously small jobs to start with and hopefully take it up eventually as a paid job on the side, evenings, weekends and holidays.

Is it possible to teach yourself using these DVDs?

Im fairly practicle and have very good DIY skills, Eveything i try usually ends up working out ok!

What would others recommend to learn and what size jobs would people suggest i begin with, obviously for friends and family to begin with

Andy

Sponsored Links
Just been looking on E-bay for some plastering DVDs, Are the goldtrowl ones any good? Im wanting to learn to plaster, obviously small jobs to start with and hopefully take it up eventually as a paid job on the side, evenings, weekends and holidays.

Never seen them myself but they are a popular training DVD, probably useful to watch & see how it’s done. The best way of picking up tips when starting out is to watch someone who knows & pick their brains as they work; as long as they don’t mind of course. A short course may help as well but there is no substitute for practice & learning by your mistakes; & you will make plenty!

Im fairly practicle and have very good DIY skills, Eveything i try usually ends up working out ok!
Plastering is about understanding the materials & how they behave & react with other materials; it’s a cross between skill & black art & you will find you can either do it or you can’t. Having good DIY skills is a good place to start & better than having no skills at all but it won't guarantee you will make a good plasterer; but hey give it a go. I’m self taught & you might just be a natural, its hard work & one of the most difficult trades to master but when your competent, it's very satisfying.
What would others recommend to learn and what size jobs would people suggest i begin with, obviously for friends and family to begin with
Andy
Start small & work up; you need to get your speed up & this only comes with practice & even then, there is a limit to the size of wall/ceiling you will be able to cope with if your working alone, mixing your own muck. Kitchens walls that are going to be behind the cabinets are good to start with; bathroom walls that are being tiled are also good but they need to be flat or whoever is laying the tiles won’t thank you!

Just been looking on E-bay for some plastering DVDs, Are the goldtrowl ones any good?

Im wanting to learn to plaster, obviously small jobs to start with and hopefully take it up eventually as a paid job on the side, evenings, weekends and holidays.

Andy

From what i have seen, the DVDs will be okay for you to tackle a one off DIY job, but (again stressing I have only seen clips) the bits I have seen are no way to approach plastering day in day out.

There are clips on Youtube that they use as adverts, and if I saw anyone show up on my job plastering like that, they would not last long.

Bear in mind that there are probably as many different ways of plastering as there are plasterers, and I don't want to be too unfair, but the way they are teaching it is to my mind laughable,no other word for it, and I can't imagine anyone on the clips knocking out enough work, good enough, to make a decnt living at it.

Your best bet, if you want to make a living at it, is to get in with a spread and work in with him for a while. Easier said than done, I know, but that's my opinion. On the other hand, if you want to tackle a few jobs, and need to know what to use and get a rough idea, have a go.

Sponsored Links
Ive actually got a guy coming to do some plastering, and although he doesnt know it yet I intend to labour for him and see how its done, maybe even have a go with him watching over to sort the mess!

He will be happy me helping him, ive known him along time, If im upto it I'll offer to labour for him on weekends and take it from there, Im just looking for a bit more knowledge to build on prior to having a go myself!

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back