Golf leaks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
The front and rear footwwells of my sons mk4 Golf estate have started filling up with water in wet weather.
We can't find the source, there are no holes in the floor.
Could anyone suggest any known problem leaky areas with this model please?.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my Gt Golf tdi about 3 years ago. It was the windscreen leaking, I had it replaced. Apparently it happens to Golf's, the rubber does not seal well. Hope this helps.

Later!

I also had this problem on a Golf, the 'leak' was from a missing grommet in the engine bay.

Andy

Best to dry the floor, newspaper, heat the lot.

Then watch to see where it starts getting wet in the back or front? If it's the front I'd check the drains under the windscreen to make sure they are clear, also the pollen filter, windscreen etc.
If it starts in the back, go for bad rubber grommets in the tailgate hinge area.

Sunroof? The drains may be partially blocked.

It's an art form to find a leak, unfortunately there doesn't seem to be anyone with an easy fix for you.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all that guys, it's both front and rear footwells on passenger side so looks like more than one problem . :cry:
Ah well, good job I got a couple of days off work.

door membranes behind the panels are a favorite too, hard to track down as well. Get someone to run a hosepipe over the car doors etc when your inside it

There has been problems with the seal behind the door cards - that which actually is secured to the door shell. They absorb water and happily decant it onto the carpets, front or rear.
The tell tale is a trace of water that is visible on the plastic door sill cover, inside the car, just beneath the door.
John :)

Could be that thanks Burnerman as it's both front/rear footwells and we've found no holes or missing grommets underneath.

Seat and Skoda vehicles have suffered from similar issues.....
If the car was mine, I'd pop the door card off (more difficult than it sounds as the plastic poppers always snap off in cold weather) after removing the arm rest and door pull etc.
Then with the inner door exposed, see if there's a metal panel bonded onto the door inner skin. When you press this, if you see water oozing around the edges, look no further. Dry the edge well, and apply a good squirt of silicone around the edge. There's probably something on You Tube somewhere....!
P.S There's something on Skoda Fabia door leaks on there...maybe yours is similar.

Sponsored Links
Back