Water leaking into wheel well of 2006 B6 Passat estate?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm finding water in the wheel well of my 2006 Passat B5 estate after a couple of those real downpours we're getting nowadays. I've had the car about 12 years and this is new, is there a known leak point somewhere round the boot gutter?. I can't see anywhere obvious and the boot floor has no cracks or holes.

Sponsored Links
Stick a hose on it whilst you sit in there to see.
Can get in through the lights, boot seal number plate holes etc.
The rear washer hose can detach too in a few places letting water in so just test that works ok.

I had a 2002 Octavia Estate that was letting water into the rear nearside cabin and boot space.

Turned out to be a badly refitted rear most side window on the nearside, letting in water under the seal.

I had a bump and it went to a BMW body shop. There were so many things wrong with that repair....

Sponsored Links
The usual place is the rear lamp clusters, but if there is water in the rear seat foot wells post back!
John

Can be condensation, leaving the wet brolly in the boot, leak from shopping as well as car related leak.

If you don't find a specific leak. Sprinkle talcum powder in a ring around the boot floor. It will leave s trail where water is coming in and going

You can buy professional fogging machines, which will help you identify areas where water can get in. Stick it inside, turn it on and look for where the fog is escaping. Sometimes it's not very obvious and can be, for example, the rubber a the top of the door- meaning the rail runs down the inside to the bottom and deposits on your floor.

Of course those machines CAN be expensive, but since Corona you can find a similar device cheap on amazon as fogging machines were used for sanitising. It's the same thing. I really wouldn't spend your time hunting all the possibilities on a modern car as it'll take you forever.

HTH.

Apologies in advance if this is deemed as hijacking a post. A friend has a similar problem with water appearing in the offside rear footwell of a 2001 Golf estate, as somewhat similar vehicle.
....but if there is water in the rear seat foot wells post back!
John
Perhaps, John, you would treat this as if the OP had reported just that.

MM

This happened a lot with VAG cars of this era, soaking wet foot wells with little evidence of water ingress.
Rain water runs down the inside of the door- all perfectly normal - but instead of running out of the bottom of the door the water escapes through the door internals and runs down behind the door card, then over the sill and into the car.
So, it’s door card off, then the pop riveted plate behind. This is sealed with silicone and then riveted back on.
Not a difficult job but if this is the problem it’s a complete cure.
John

Is there a roof light? If so there will be four drains, one at each corner. Rear ones are usually piped through the boot. If you park nose up, and a rear drain is blocked...

This happened a lot with VAG cars of this era, soaking wet foot wells with little evidence of water ingress.
Rain water runs down the inside of the door- all perfectly normal - but instead of running out of the bottom of the door the water escapes through the door internals and runs down behind the door card, then over the sill and into the car.
So, it’s door card off, then the pop riveted plate behind. This is sealed with silicone and then riveted back on.
Not a difficult job but if this is the problem it’s a complete cure.
John
This job is a real ball ache for me especially that stupid window dowel.
I'd just take out the bolts enough to get some sealant in there and send it.
A hair dryer or heat gun to dry it out first and then use something like CT1 sealant which is designed to work on damp surfaces.
I've just done this on my Mk 1 Fabia.
Tell tale sign is water pudding on the lower seal when you open the door after rain.

Sponsored Links
Back