Golf noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi got a mk6 2010 1.6tdi golf. Car drives, lovely and smooth, no issues when driving. I hear a noise , sounds like one of then old aeroplane flying..speeds up when i go fast and slowd down when i slow down..can't suss it out..any ideas , wheel bearings perhaps..carcdrives straight as an arrow, tracking and wheel balance done ..

Sponsored Links
Wheel bearing. On a clear road, if you swerve from side to side at around 30mph you will hear the tone change as you load it up.

Ok ..thanks guys , what am I looking at replacing both, probably source the parts from Euro car parts..just labour costs..ta

Sponsored Links
Two hours approx at an independent garage.....oop North thats around £120 for labour, the bearing is around £20 say.
John :)

Saw local mot place, put the car on ramp..checked all wheels, all bearings were fine, however , rear passenger side wheel was binding slightly, when spinning it freely. Looked at my mot sheet, had an advisory note , stating " slight binding in rear wheel, but not excessive "..he suggested a new caliper..any suggestions on a new caliper, make etc? Or can this be freed?..he
New one £150 Plus vat !

An exchange caliper is the way to go, readily available from a motor factor usually around the £75 mark - that could vary of course. On the rear of these cars, the disc pads need to be extracted and cleaned - together with the brackets - every 12 months to keep them sweet. This may also free up the binding so best to check this first.
As for the wheel bearing noise - sometimes they show no play at the start but still drone like hell. Usually the noise changes as the car corners but if the noise is bad then its there anyway.
I get the car up on the ramp and let the wheel dangle and spin, then listen for vibration / rumble at the base of the strut. It takes experience to find this one! Several people have told me that 'it'll be the diff' ......most unlikely. What is the car's mileage?

Many front wheel bearings are long gone by then....I find around 80K to be the norm.
One point though - I have been led up the garden path with noise before, and that turned out to be Maxxis tyres......not on just one occasion either!

I've had two brand new Marshall tyres fitted at the front about 3 months ago, didn't notice the noise..seems like it needs further investigation, don't wanna start changing this and that because mechanic said , at my expense..worse case , I'll wait till it gets very noisy ..

I find it’s easier and more accurate to 'feel' a rough bearing by holding your fingers on the backplate when spinning the bearings. Sealed bearings will hardly ever make a noise when hanging free and they often won’t have any play in them. Your original description of a sound like an old aeroplane is exactly what a knackered wheel bearing sounds like.

Hi guys just an update , my rear brake pads are worn , really thin..could explain the noise I'm getting anyway had to be done..Ive reserved there from Euro csrparts , I entered reg of my golf 1.6tdi 2010 plate and says they will fit, but looking on eBay at same pads some listing says they won't. My mechanic can get pads but I want some decent ones..

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...17d6c68f213539362433f7cab0e792af91f3ae&000036

They certainly look like the ones....almost universal amongst the VAG range.
You'll need a rewind tool to shift the caliper pistons back to allow the new pads in.

Sponsored Links
Back