Gonna pull my ceiling down. Any advice?

• Thread starter attractivebrunette
  • Start date
Cool. Just want to check something. Which cable rating do I need for the lights? Would 3 core rated 10 amps, 240 volts and 2,400 watts be suitable?

Sponsored Links
Cool. Just want to check something. Which cable rating do I need for the lights? Would 3 core rated 10 amps, 240 volts and 2,400 watts be suitable?

Get an electrician to deal with the lights. Plasterers aren't qualified to advise on that (sorry guys, but it's true!).

Just want to check something. Which cable rating do I need for the lights? Would 3 core rated 10 amps, 240 volts and 2,400 watts be suitable?

Also, it appears there are two layers of plasterboard. The bottom layer and another layer on top of that, a blue colour. Do I need to be worried about anything or is it fine to take them both down?

Just want to check something. Which cable rating do I need for the lights? Would 3 core rated 10 amps, 240 volts and 2,400 watts be suitable?

As stated, get an electrician to deal with that.

Also, it appears there are two layers of plasterboard. The bottom layer and another layer on top of that, a blue colour. Do I need to be worried about anything or is it fine to take them both down?

Pale blue, as I recall, is acoustic rated plasterboard, but the lads here will know for sure. If it's there now you'll need to put it back when you reboard.

Sponsored Links

Why would I not believe you?

If that rating isn't suitable, which is the correct rating? If you don't know the answer, just say and let someone who knows the answer reply.

Why would I not believe you?

If that rating isn't suitable, which is the correct rating? If you don't know the answer, just say and let someone who knows the answer reply.

It's not just about rating. Type and installation method are important. This is why I said to consult an electrician.

I know it's not just about rating, but rating is a factor.

Do you or do you not know if that rating is correct? If you don't then don't offer advice, let someone else who knows the answer, reply.

I know it's not just about rating, but rating is a factor.

Do you or do you not know if that rating is correct? If you don't then don't offer advice, let someone else who knows the answer, reply.

Rating is a factor, yes, but it is far from the only factor. Rating notwithstanding, that cable is not appropriate.

If you insist on doing the work yourself (which I firmly believe would be dangerous), please, ask those who are qualified to answer. You will not find them in the plastering forum.

If you are NOT qualified to answer, then why do you keep answering!?

If I tell you it's not just about rating (in other words, rating isn't the only factor) what is the point of replying with:

"Rating is a factor, yes, but it is far from the only factor"

I've already told you that rating is not the only factor. Twice I've told you. What on earth is the point of just repeating back to me what I already know?

If you're telling me that cable is not appropriate, why don't you just tell me why?

It's not appropriate because I have no clue what it actually is.

I'm assuming you're talking about H05VV-F, 1.0mm². As three core, no, it's not really suitable. As two core, it might be, for part of the installation, but there are more suitable alternatives, which I'm sure people will be happy to discuss. In the electrics forum.

Except you don't go there, because they don't give you the easy answers you want.

She wont go there as she gets frustrated, as demonstrated here, when for instance she is told that her 110V toaster CANNOT work on our 230V supply and when we suggest that a skinny little cheap bit of flex like you would find on a table lamp is not suitable to wire in an electric cooker.

Is this in a flat or house?? You do not need to remove a ceiling to install spotlights. If this is a flat you will have to re=instate the blue board and will have great difficulty installing spot lights which wont let sound travel or be able to be moused within the insulation which may be up the the ceiling. Spots incidentally are not ideal either as they produce "spots" of light, which in turn means that you needs lots of them to light a room properly, they use 50W each, they reach temperatures in excess of 200C, a standard pendant with a 13W energy efficient lamp does a much better job of lighting a room. If you install lots of spots they could draw too much current, especially if you have them elsewhere on the same circuit and it could cause the MCB to trip.

In order to calculate the correct sized cable you need to know the load you will be putting on the cable, weather or not the cable for that circuit is grouped with any other cables, if it is ran in thermal insulation and how it is installed THROUGHOUT the property, not just in the room you are working in.

I see from the majority of your posts that you have a chip on your shoulder regarding the advise you get, cant you understand that you are quite able to your house down without you knowing?

Are the lads talking to an "attractivebrunette" or a bloke? Just wondering ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back