Good first chainsaw for firewood and low-level pruning?

I've heard it is preferable to chop first so it seasons faster... Clearly though this isn't necessary as you see people storing trunks outside without so much as a tarp in the snow

Sponsored Links
also de-bark them as well (not always very practical and not always the best advice depending on seasoning conditions)

The titan chainsaw from screwfix is a very good electric option.

It has an excellent brake. Release the trigger and the chain stops immediately, long before the motor stops turning.

Sponsored Links
When people were recommending other saws, was that petrol or corded? The kind of thing I have to deal with along-side pruning and felled fire-wood, is fallen trees in fairly hard to reach locations quite far from the house. Not maybe the biggest tree (9") but festooned with ivy and tangled up. I wonder in this case if the utility of a chainsaw makes it desirable to "slice and dice"?

OTOH once I clear a few such things, it probably won't happen that often - the garden has a maintenance back-log you might say :)

The Stihl 171 and 181 are petrol two stroke 'hobby' saws, as is the Husky 236. Don't think they are in any way feeble though, they rev like hell and will do garden work perfectly.
If you are working some distance away from home I don't think you have much option, really.....there's also no reason for the chain to rotate on idle if the thing is adjusted correctly.
Maybe a good tip when using saws is not to be alone? Training is also available and should really be considered - together with good boots, trousers and helmet.
Regarding my log splitter I can balance 30" trunk slices of softwood on the thing, but its a bit of a balancing act! (My knackered back means an axe is out for me).
John :)

I'm certainly considering training, and consider safety gear non-negotiable even for the easiest task!

@Burnerman which model do you have of splitter?

My splitter is the equivalent to the Clarke Logbuster 7 from Machine Mart, and its 5 years old now.....its the basic 240v model and will split logs up to 400 odd mm I think - my 5kw Morso Squirrel stoves have a small fire box so that's big enough for me.
I've beefed the thing up with a steel cradle to help hold the bigger diameter logs on, and also added the stand at £30 or whatever. That needed beefing up too but altogether its been a great purchase and better than I'd thought it would be.
I was trained at my local Agricultural college - Kirkley Hall, Northumberland and it was nicely hands on, including sharpening etc.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back