Good first drill to buy for complete novice...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm a complete novice, never done any DIY before, but now need to buy a drill to hang a roman blind - need to drill 2mm holes in plastered wall.

Had a quick look online but the choice of drills available is a bit confusing. Was hoping to spend no more than £50 but seems maybe need to spend closer to £100 for a decent drill(?)

Anyway, any recommendations would be very appreciated. As per above, it'll only be used very occasionally, so would corded be best?

Sponsored Links
if you're doing occasional light work, consider a rechargable, but it must have hammer action, and (I would say) it must have a Li-on battery as NiCad will die of old age quite quickly, sometimes before the tool has been used much. This is very annoying if you are an occasional DIY user.

Aldi have one coming in on Sunday, in time for the Dad's Christmas Present market, have a look at their website and look at the special buys lists.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbu...roduct-detail/ps/p/16v-li-ion-cordless-drill/

Or a small corded hammer drill which can be very cheap and probably OK for occasional light use. You can pay hundreds for a good tool.

Whether a complete novice or a tradesman, the first thing that's got to be figure out is what's behind the plaster i.e. brick, stone, concrete etc.
Now you say 2 mm holes that would add another construction (if not a typo) timber and it would be a pilot hole your looking to do?
As for drill choice, are you thinking of doing a whole lot of DIY in the future or is the drill going to be seldom used?? ...pinenot :)

This one has served us well
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...Cordless-Drill-Driver-10957593?skuId=11448297

If you need more power and hammer action for drilling walls go for a mains drill like
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...lls/500W-Hammer-Drill-10957605?skuId=11448309

Note:
You might get away without hammer action for a few holes (small diameter)

The reason I suggest these drills, we use them and they are cheap. No good spending £100 to hang a few bits and pieces. Then, if you want to upgrade later, well and good.

Always use eye protection

Pointless doing DIY if you don't enjoy it

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+hang+a+roman+blind&sm=1

Sponsored Links
Buy a corded SDS Bosch blue fella and you won't be disappointed.

2mm holes? Are you sure?

Hi. I'm a complete novice, never done any DIY before, but now need to buy a drill to hang a roman blind - need to drill 2mm holes in plastered wall.

Had a quick look online but the choice of drills available is a bit confusing. Was hoping to spend no more than £50 but seems maybe need to spend closer to £100 for a decent drill(?)

Anyway, any recommendations would be very appreciated. As per above, it'll only be used very occasionally, so would corded be best?

If its for occasional work only, then there's nothing wrong with buying a less expensive drill and keeping the money you've saved over an expensive one for something else.

If its the only drill, then by all means make it cordless but also with hammer action, ie a combi drill (combi meaning it does 3 things: (screw)driver, drill, hammer action). Beware though that any cordless's hammer action is going to be slower going than a corded one. So if you foresee many holes in masonry/concrete then go for a decent corded one, otherwise cordless.

Personally I prefer buying something like this from a large DIY chain, so that if it goes wrong on eg Sunday you have a fair chance of being able to nip to the store mid-job and exchange it, etc.

Hence, looking at B&Q, Wickes and Screwfix:

B&Q: http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-to...d-Decker-18V-Combi-Drill-2-batteries-12057521 £50

Not much at Wickes in the price range

Screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-dv18dcl2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/64945 £100

Screwfix also do a Titan with Li0ion battery for £60 but I'm hesitating to recommend Titan, its basically their own-brand. I had one for half a day and didn't like it, so I took it back and bought a better one (from another store, B&Q).

Buy a corded SDS Bosch blue fella and you won't be disappointed.
blank65x10t.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

Or an 18V cordless.

The blue part is important - that range is nothing like the green.

Good basic rule for buying any tools - always get the best you can afford, not the cheapest you can find.

"Novice" doesn't mean that he doesn't have a lifetime of DIY ahead of him.

yep,and as we have all found out to our cost,
buy cheap buy 3 times, ;)

but O.P dont just stop on bosch blue,go the whole hog,invest in festool. :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for all the responses, lots of useful suggestions it seems.

JohnD,

Why do you say it must be a hammer drill?

pinenot,

According to the blind's fitting instructions I need a 2mm drill bit to drill pilot holes for wood screws. Wasn't sure when I posted the question but have since found out it'll be possible to fit the blind's 2 L-shaped brackets to the wooden frame of the window, so thankfully no need to worry about what's behind the plaster.

lol I wasn't thinking of doing *any* DIY in the future, but seems the time's come where I can't get away with not owning tools any more. Though I'd guess for the time being any drill I buy will prob fall into the 'seldom used' category, eg only brought out when a new blind or shelving or similar needs putting up.

paulc2,

If its for occasional work only, then there's nothing wrong with buying a less expensive drill

Yeah, at first I thought I could just get the cheapest drill from somewhere like Argos but having read the critical reviews on there it seems that'd be false economy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back