Good mask for fumes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used sodium hypochlorite and you dont't want to breathe in these fumes. Any recommendations for a a good mask which stops you breathing in any fumes ?

I had a sore throat for two weeks after using it and difficulty breathing recently

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
a good mask which stops you breathing in any fumes

The only type of mask that will protect you against any fumes is an air fed mask such as THIS or a self contained breathing apparatus.

If it is a specific fume then a mask with the correct filter cartridge for that particular fume will give some protection

The only type of mask that will protect you against any fumes is an air fed mask such as THIS or a self contained breathing apparatus.

If it is a specific fume then a mask with the correct filter cartridge for that particular fume will give some protection

What's that plugged into? A diver's oxygen tank lol?

The chemical I was worried about- sodium hypochrite is bascially strong bleach. The stuff put in swimming pools bt,ut in very strong concentration form. If you can smell it, is it damaging you?

I suppose in the spray form of this and say for example weed killer any mask would stop the spray or mist which is better than nothing. Just worried that if I could smell this copd causing drug could be getting in my lungs

Last edited:
You don't need a mask. You need a respirator

When I have to do mask fitting we wear the mask, then put on what looks like an airport firefighters helmet. Basically a bag with a window over your head. Then you spray a very sweet solution while moving your head and should not smell or taste anything. If you do, the mask isn't doing it's job.

Once tested, you pull off the mask to ensure that you CAN taste or smell the solution

Look at respirators for paint work but check with the supplier.

I am looking at using 2k paint at home and special respirators are either air fed or are disposable and only valid for 48 hrs after being opened

Sponsored Links

Nasty stuff but gets stuff off patios. when I used it before had a sore throat for 2 weeks.

This is the mask I have been using with goggles-

https://www.aerofeel.com/en/product...-r-thermoplastic-rubber-removable-cartridges/

Is this sufficient?

The health and safety sheet says-

Inhalation Spray/mists may cause respiratory tract irritation. A single exposure may cause the following adverse effects: Coughing. Difficulty in breathing.

Does this mean the odour from it you can sniff through mask or actual liquid in the air when sprayed?

Last edited:
Currently, I’m using 3M Full Facepiece Respirator and this is a great face mask. I work in a shop that is always grinding metal, sanding foam and carbon fiber, and its dusty! This face mask has cut all that out, I don’t smell a thing and even after hours of use my head is not bothered in the slightest.

If you can smell it, is it damaging you?
Yes.
Obviously a faint whiff isn't going to do any serious damage if its once or twice, but a proper fitting respirator means you shouldn't be able to smell it all, which if you exposed every day for hours at a time is important

What are you using it for? You mentioned cleaning patios.
Can you avoid the spraying, and just brush on the liquid (like mopping a floor)?
Better, use a safer product?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back