Good old Coutts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
I suspect it’s lost its shine.
Who cares? Do you bank there? I don't. Nige seems a bit miffed he has has been excluded from the millionaires private bank. Or has he?

Good old Nige.

++++++
Some off-topic posts have been removed
+++++

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
++++++
+++++

++++++
+++++

"Farage was considered by others to be a disingenuous grifter".

I don't read that as something the bank said about him, just information they compiled internally about him.

Not something they should put out to the public of course. Did they do that though? Or did poor Nige?

OK lets go through all of it then..

1. truth
2. justification
3. fair comment

4. privilege

1. Sec 2 of the Defamation act says If the imputation (the bad think you said/wrote) is true you have a defence. It further says if you said many bad things then any that are true are defended. If the remaining bad things aren't true, then the test applied is based on the harm done. If one single imputation is not true and damage is done, then you have a claim. Put simply the misinformation presented to the beeb stands out. The dossier as I've previously said - is the gravy.
2. repealed Sec 2 para 4
3. repealed Sec 3 para 8

4. see sec 7 - not privileged not prepared for court, dealing with court, government, statutory business, etc, etc. Just a company compiling a toxic dossier about a customer to achieve a goal.

I do encourage people to read all of it at source, not what has been quoted in the press.

You'd have to be extremely hard of thinking not to see it, if you understand the first thing about defamation law.
The report is covered by qualified proivilege.
It was a report created by an employee for the benefit of a committee of that organisation. The authors of the report had a duty to inform that committee, and that committee had a right to see and consider that information.

The fact that it was further communicated to millionsd of others was purely the responsibility of Farage.
It was only Farage's opinion that that information was the primary reason for the closure of the account. A view refuted by Coutts.

Again you ignore statute and use google to inform. Unfortunately, it looks like you’ve found another US example, though you may be misquoting Adam v Ward [1917] AC 309. The defamation act limits common law qualified privilege - your example does not align. A customer is not an employee, a risk review board does not have a statutory duty beyond those already discussed to research the political views of a customer. The report does not limit itself to research. It goes much further.

You also ignore the bbc briefing which cost the briefer her job and caused the bbc to apologise. Noting also that Coutts issued an apology too, so I’m not sure coutts dispute Farage’s version anymore given the total climb down.

Last edited:
Nonsense. Or at least give an example we can look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back