Goodbye MG Rover

• Thread starter 2scoops0406
  • Start date
Scoby_Beasley said:
I then bought a 216gti ('95), still going strong, still like s**t of a shovel,

My dad had a 216GTi on a J-plate, he reckons that off the lights it was quicker than the Cougar V6 he replaced it with!

To be honest, I'm surprised they have sold so few cars recently: the car park at work is brimming with MG hatchbacks and I see loads of them driving round here (Herts).

Sponsored Links
Agree Adam with your Dad very rapido, which is even more fun as other drivers think "it's only a rover " !! nearly as much fun as the tvr I was once lucky enough to be the caretaker of......

Freddie said:
It looks like it's time to bite the bullet and look for some other job.
Valet parking at the local Aldi ?
Napoleon/Hitler used to say we were a nation of shopkeepers, due to a lack of foresight/interest by succesive governments, looks like they'll be right, nobody will be making anything anymore we'll just be selling survival goods to each other.

Trouble is we will never do a 'Japan' ... everything we have wasted is gone forever ... Shopkeepers twill be, if anyone has anything to barter with !!
Rover MG is a tragedy, the knock on effect will be devastating ...
There is more to the story than meets the eye...
From The Times today :-
Chinese lay claim to the Rover name
Read it here

Here is a thought, if China prevails Tone may say, "Well we lost the manufacturing, but the marque will remain, albeit built in China, so I have rescued the current Brit MG-Rover owners who were facing an uncertain warrantee and spares situation, didn't we Gordon ?"

Better check what Blowing were allegedly doing with aircraft components which made it to the States - built in C as part of aircraft deal - "clatter,clank" --- Dave&Julie will know the sound very well, given his previous business !!
:eek:

Sponsored Links
This topic does tend to **** you off slightly when you live south of brum. In t'pub at lunchtime, me (aluminium extrusions) a butcher, a baker (no candlestick maker !!) a plumber, roofer, 2 builders and 16 blokes who work at longbridge, At least 6 of which will end up losing their house if they can't find work. So wheres the support when you need it ?

Why, Oh why do we pay so much Tax if when we actually need the help they give it to starving Africans instead of our own?

Please do not think I do not care about people starving in the world, but I would much rather see us get our own house in order before we spend tens of millions on someone elses.

AdamW said:
The British police only really stopped buying British when Volvo brought out the T-5. That replaced their Cosworths and Rover SD1's. Perhaps Rover should have produced a V8-powered 800 estate?

I remember when BSM cancelled the contract for Metro's/R100's and started buying V Corsa's instead.....

Although not part of Rover anymore, the same thing is happening with vans too. I notice near me the post office are using Mercedes Veto's and the local council have mainly Renaults and Fords(often Spanish). By tradition these type of customers have used home grown, usually Leyland. We really seem to be on a self destruct course with manufacturing in this country which is sad and will back fire one day.

Sparky Jim said:
Why, Oh why do we pay so much Tax if when we actually need the help they give it to starving Africans instead of our own?

Please do not think I do not care about people starving in the world, but I would much rather see us get our own house in order before we spend tens of millions on someone elses.

Yep ! Always thought best method was take care of your own first, then when all ticking and winding, you are in a better position to help others, and happier in doing that !! The final part is the important one .. a happy workforce etc etc ..

Maybe tis time to take a glance at how the italians protected and kept alive those fabulous historical marques, Aprilia (Laverda), Benelli, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, Gilera ..... And their day has come again !!
Perhaps we should at least keep MG alive ? Get it run properly and keep the asset strippers away.
P

I'm sorry but I have to vent my point here.

Rover has gone down the pan. I do, genuinely, feeel sorry for the workers. They have given sterling service and deserve at least a decent payout.

The government have agreed a loan to ensure they get some wages.

Like I said earlier, if a business goes down, it's nobodies fault apart from THAT BUSINESS. I was self employed a few months ago and have no-one to blame but myself that my company failed.

If I went crying to the government; "help, I'm british, but I've f**ked up my company!", what do you think they'd have said????

Like I said earlier, if a business goes down, it's nobodies fault apart from THAT BUSINESS. I was self employed a few months ago and have no-one to blame but myself that my company failed.

Whilst I agree that in the case of Rover the failure is probably due to an ageing product and past reliabilty/quality problems. I do not think this is the case with most of the other manufacturing business failures.

Most businesses, especially ones which need plenty of room such as Rover, are struggling with outlandish overhead charges which have gone out of all proportion in recent times. Business rates are nothing short of theft now and approaching around 50% to 60%, or more, of the rental charge.(I have some units where the rent is £12K and the rates are over £7K), We then have insurance which as gone up by over 50% in the last few years. Due to further Gov theft, on fuel, companies are paying through the nose for heating or cooling, electric/gas and also for deliveries either to or from them. On top of all this they have page after page of changing rules and red tape from either the councils,Gov or the EU. We then have the Banks which charge businesses(especially small ones) rip off rates for everything from loans to account charges and also limit everything. Sometimes insisting directors put their personal houses on the line. The Gov then expects them to act as unpaid tax/NI and Vat collector and then stings them for the slightest mistake. There are dozens of other problems facing companies and these are only a few of them. They are becomming bogged down with stealth costs, more so than the public realise.After all of this they then face unfair dumping from either the far east or EU grant aided new memberstates.

Make no mistakes the country is on a suicide mission, we are being ruled by incompetant featherbedded idiots, who will never be affected by their pathetic short term decisions.

ninebob said:
I'm sorry but I have to vent my point here.

Rover has gone down the pan. I do, genuinely, feeel sorry for the workers. They have given sterling service and deserve at least a decent payout.

The government have agreed a loan to ensure they get some wages.

If I went crying to the government; "help, I'm british, but I've f**ked up my company!", what do you think they'd have said????

I do not think it is that simple, None of the owners are crying are they? I bet they come out of this far richer than two years ago, Yeah, with their company heading down the tubes --- that aint ninebob style is it ?- unlike the employees with a bleak future ahead.
How do we know the asset strippers were not at work again here over time ?
I have asked before, how come the Jap manufacturers do not disappear ? They have their ups and downs but, it would appear, a genuine desire to succeed not sell off the family jewels, and boy, they have plenty of those ... I say if for example, Honda were Bitish it would have been stripped and sold off by now .. before it became a diverse engineering company of great repute, a credit to their engineers and management. .... Just look back at our mo-bike industry, Japs showed the way through engineering and design --- pleasing the customer !! What did we learn ? JIT or Brit style Just Too Late
P

Sponsored Links
Back