Google Nest E installation - boiler not powering on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just installed a Nest E in place of our old thermostat and it doesn't appear to be working correctly. The Nest E and the Heat Link both communicate with each other fine but when the power is switched on at the mains, the boiler doesn't power up.

I've attached a photo of the old thermostat and the Nest E wiring.

The old thermostat is an EPH RF1A-OT and the boiler is a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 4000.

I do have limited knowledge but having followed the guidance I believe everything seems correct (though guidance wasn't brilliant).

Have I wired it correctly?

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

KAI1V.jpg

3kRMU.jpg

Sponsored Links
you have wired the nest E correctly, check the 3 Amp fuse in the spur, but most likely you have tripped a breaker in the consumer unit when wiring it, they are extremely sensitive, or do you actually mean that the boiler IS powered up and just not switching the heating on when asked ?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
you have wired the nest E correctly, check the 3 Amp fuse in the spur, but most likely you have tripped a breaker in the consumer unit when wiring it, they are extremely sensitive, or do you actually mean that the boiler IS powered up and just not switching the heating on when asked ?

Thanks for the reply Ian, really appreciate it. I did think this was correctly wired.

I've checked the CU and it's fine (no trip). I'll check the spur now and I'll also reconnect the old thermostat to check it's working with that before continuing.

Regarding the power, the boiler isn't powering up at all post installation of the Nest.

Regarding the power, the boiler isn't powering up at all post installation of the Nest.
the nest doesnt power the boiler, it is simply a switch, you have interrupted the permanent live somewhere, if the trip on the consumer unit is identified , drop it completely to off the reset back to on, some have a duel setting and if you touched the Earth wire it drops out but doesnt always look like it has, if none of that works show a pic of how the nest is wired at the boiler end

Sponsored Links
the nest doesnt power the boiler, it is simply a switch, you have interrupted the permanent live somewhere, if the trip on the consumer unit is identified , drop it completely to off the reset back to on, some have a duel setting and if you touched the Earth wire it drops out but doesnt always look like it has, if none of that works show a pic of how the nest is wired at the boiler end

I've just changed the fuse in the spur (checked the fuse from the spur in another appliance which worked fine) and reconnected the old thermostat and still no power. I switched the CU off and on before reconnecting everything. Thinking about it, I should have probably done this after so I'll go and do it again now.

I've also taken photos of how the wiring is inside the boiler for reference.

** Edit **
Turns out I was taking the spur to be the one outside of the boiler. I've just found the one inside the boiler and changed that which has worked with the old thermostat. I'll rewire for the nest and check again (and also buy a shed load more of these fuses!)

** Update **
Nest now working fine and so is the boiler. Thanks for the help Ian, very much appreciate it! Would have been without heating and hot water this week if you hadn't have helped! Thanks again.

Attachments

• PXL_17-10-2021_13-14-42_8.2.204.jpg
    PXL_17-10-2021_13-14-42_8.2.204.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 209
  • PXL_17-10-2021_13-15-23_8.2.204.jpg
    PXL_17-10-2021_13-15-23_8.2.204.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I suppose it depends if the boiler supply was wired through the thermostat? You have a brown in common at the Nest e, but on the old was black? Also get some sleeving or change the wire for the cpc/Earth being used as a live/line conductor. Check for additional fused connection unit switches, seen that before now as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back