Got carried away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:oops:

Hi all,

Hope someone can give me some advice. I changed a couple of light fittings at the weekend and replaced the existing roses with push fit connectors. Everything was working fine so I moved onto the bathroom and replaced the light fitting in the same way using push fit connectors. It's occured to me this morning that I should have done things differently in the bathroom as I've left the push fit connectors loose between the new light fitting and the ceiling without a choc box.

I intend to put the connectors in a choc box above the ceiling, however in the meantime is the way I have done it dangerous? i.e. should I be turning the circuit off until I've made the changes?

Many thanks, hope this isn't too much of a stupid question!

Sponsored Links
Only you can answer that. The rules say you must not be able to access electricity without using a tool. So wrapping wires in insulation tape will never pass as you could unwrap it the same way as you wrapped it. Yet I would not say it's as a result dangerous.

We talk about IP rating and from above 1 mm is max size of hole but from other angles can be up to 12 mm I think (Too small for a finger to fit in).

However in the home we have fingers smaller the 12 mm so in the home more care is required.

Much depends on what the manufacturer says. I had this with a certain piece of equipment it was a PLC but does not really matter what it was. The manufacturer said it should be fitted inside an enclosure so even though we considered it safe to use the area had to be restricted access because of what the manufacturer said about it.

I would say since you ask the question likely it's not safe. If you thought it was safe you would not have asked the question!

Thanks ericmark.

The light I fitted was a bathroom specific light and rated accordingly, it came with its own sealed choc box for receiving E L N. So I'm happy that this bit is ok. I replaced the rose with push fit connectors (Helacon), which I think would require a tool to access as they can only be used once. However, I'm concerned about whether they are suitable for use in the bathroom and whether leaving them between the light and the ceiling was the right thing to do? Is placing the push fit connectors in a choc box the right thing to do and should it have an IP rating if it is placed above the ceiling?

Sorry, probably lots of obvious questions.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back