Got toilet leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to fix? Leaking where red arrow is.

Shall isolate as in picture if go out for a couple of days?
20210812_140435.jpg
20210812_140125.jpg

Attachments

• 20210812_140125.jpg
    20210812_140125.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
Wouldnt isolate as chances are you will start a new leak.
That leak you have will only leak if the toilet is flushed so if you arent there it wont leak.

Sponsored Links
Although look at the pipe at the very top near the cistern in the second pic,judging by the gunk I’d check there first as it looks like it has leaked there and just gone down the outside of the pipe.
Didn`t see that, yep could also be from there however without wanting to be rude to the op it all looks a mess.

Didn`t see that, yep could also be from there however without wanting to be rude to the op it all looks a mess.

I'll isolate the toilet drain the cistern then change the pipe from cistern I guess.

The toilet also doesn't flush everything without using the toilet brush. Is it the way the toilet flushes the problem?

Change the isolating valve. Change the flush cone and cistern connection. Change the internal syphon valve. Change the fill valve (while you're are at it). Change the WC connection to soil pipe if it leaks, it's a bodged connection. Empty bowl of water and check inlet to pan for partially blocked hard water lime deposits. Or get a Plumber in.:)

Change the isolating valve. Change the flush cone and cistern connection. Change the internal syphon valve. Change the fill valve (while you're are at it). Change the WC connection to soil pipe if it leaks, it's a bodged connection. Empty bowl of water and check inlet to pan for partially blocked hard water lime deposits. Or get a Plumber in.:)

I tried to just change the washer but still leaking. I ripped out the two old ones and put new one in. I'll go plumbing change everything like you said as I guess they're all connected
20210902_143929.jpg
20210902_133342.jpg

Changed flush pipe and and syphon. Can see in photos. It's now leaking where arrow is pointing where connection joins cistern. Do I need to cut the flush pipe a bit shorter when pushed up into syphon? Does the flush pipe need cutting perfectly at 90 degrees to prevent a leak?
20210902_195711.jpg
20210902_200544.jpg
20210902_195037.jpg

Does the flush pipe need cutting perfectly at 90 degrees to prevent a leak?
It doesn’t help if it’s straining. How far into the syphon does it go? Also your arrow indicates it could be running down the syphon thread, if it is, then either the flush pipe is pulling it out of kilter, or it hasn’t sealed properly inside.

Last edited:
It doesn’t help if it’s straining. How far into the syphon does it go? Also your arrow indicates it could be running down the syphon thread, if it is, then either the flush pipe isn’t pulling it out of kilter, or it hasn’t sealed properly inside.
At a guess about 3 or 4inches but would need to take it out tomorrow morning (my wet vac is too noisy at this time of night) and measure to be sure. I'll cut off another 5mm tomorrow

Its actually dripping right off the cistern on edge of plastic thing onto flush pipe below. Out of kilter meaning coming out at an angle? Looks like coming out plumb to me. I noticed also after flushing lots of water is still left compared to previous syphon

Yes, what I meant was, If the flush pipe is pulling it slightly, then it’ll leak. Try removing the flush pipe first, leaving the syphon in place with a small amount of water in the cistern and see if it still leaks - if it does, you know it’s bugger all to do with the flush pipe.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back