Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Toilet is leaking from this pipe and I’m not really sure how to fix it.
Before going to a plumber I thought I’d come here to get any tips on how to fix it.

Someone came to put a floor in and he moved the toilet when doing this. But since then the toilet started leaking.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 1524134668.jpg
    iOS Image - 1524134668.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 344
  • iOS Image - 977609039.jpg
    iOS Image - 977609039.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 348
  • iOS Image - 2313194738.jpg
    iOS Image - 2313194738.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 330
Sponsored Links
Which bit is leaking? - connection to toilet, connection to soil pipe or both?

Typical place to leak once it's been moved. The seal in the pan connector hardens over time and invariably won't seal again when refitted. Time for a new pan connector. Just check the size, or take it with you, all the main sheds will carry them - Screwfix/Toolstation/B&Q etc.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

I think it’s the connection to the soil pipe, i have placed a little plastic box under the connection from the pipe to the toilet

Sponsored Links
Typical place to leak once it's been moved. The seal in the pan connector hardens over time and invariably won't seal again when refitted. Time for a new pan connector. Just check the size, or take it with you, all the main sheds will carry them - Screwfix/Toolstation/B&Q etc.

How much would it cost me to get a new pan connector and to fit it in? Is it a costly one?

• Thanks
if the fins have been moved inside the soil pipe then it can be the same issue, the rubber hardens and doesn't want to seal again. You will need to get the whole connector out of the pipe.

Nah, not that expensive, you just need to check if it's a 3 1/2" or a 4" pipe and what length it is.

95284_P

https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-macfit-mac-8l-90-wc-long-pan-connector-white-90-112mm/95284

Is that the diameter measurement that I’m going to need to check? If so, how do I do that exactly? & once bought is it easy enough to put it in myself or shall I call someone in to do it? I’ve never done this and I don’t really want to get it wrong

Yes, check the diameter of the soil pipe that the connector fits into, it will be either 110mm (classed as 4") or 82mm (classed as 3 1/2") and check the length against the old one.

Rubber gloves on - Pull the old connector off the toilet pan spigot and then out of the soil pipe, clean the toilet spigot and inside the soil pipe as clean and as dry as possible. Push the new connector into the soil pipe until the pan connector end lines up with the toilet pan spigot and then just push it fully on. Flush and check for leaks.

Yes, check the diameter of the soil pipe that the connector fits into, it will be either 110mm (classed as 4") or 82mm (classed as 3 1/2") and check the length against the old one.

Rubber gloves on - Pull the old connector off the toilet pan spigot and then out of the soil pipe, clean the toilet spigot and inside the soil pipe as clean and as dry as possible. Push the new connector into the soil pipe until the pan connector end lines up with the toilet pan spigot and then just push it fully on. Flush and check for leaks.

Thank you so much for helping, I’ll see what I can do then!

Also another thing, the toilet only seems to be dripping when it’s sat on, but by the looks and sounds of things it isn’t dripping when it’s flushed or unused. I’m not sure why that is?

Thank you so much for helping! I’ll try and see what I can do then.

Also another thing, the toilet only seems to be leaking when it is sat on, but when it’s flushed or is just left on it’s own it doesn’t sound like it’s leaking? I’m not sure why that’s the case to be honest

Also another thing, the toilet only seems to be leaking when it is sat on, but when it’s flushed or is just left on it’s own it doesn’t sound like it’s leaking? I’m not sure why that’s the case to be honest

Judging by your photo, it appears that the actual pan isn’t screwed down, which will create movement every time you sit/get up from. This will eventually cause the pipe to leak when flushed.

yep, @The Novice has hit it on the head, if the toilet isn't fixed to the floor then the movement can cause the connector to leak especially if the connector is old.

If the guy fitting the floor moved the toilet then he should have ensured it was refitted properly or had someone in to make sure it was.

• Thanks
@Madrab and @The Novice I think I’ve found a what the actual issue is and it’s not leaking from the pipe at all. But I will still look into improving that area of the toilet. It’s leaking from the part that connects the tank to the seat. The water drops from there every time someone sits on it so I’m guessing whenever someone sits down the seat gets pushed down leaving a small opening in the tank where the screw is meant to be fully fastened? But I’m not fully sure. I’m going to try tightening that part first and I’ll see what happens i guess

• Thanks
Definitely! I think a lot of the dirt came from when the tiles were removed to be honest

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back