Government Exam Fiasco

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
https://www.ft.com/content/d429f52a-c717-42ff-854a-fb0ee8bf07c5

"Gavin Williamson, the UK’s secretary of state for education, set the Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation an “impossible task” by cancelling exams against its advice and instructing it to calculate GCSE and A-level results instead, the regulator’s head has said.

Roger Taylor, chair of Ofqual, on Wednesday told MPs that Mr Williamson disregarded the regulator’s guidance on cancelling exams, and on allowing appeals based on mock grades, leaving it to implement decisions that put it at risk of breaching its legal duties to ensure fair results for all students.

“It was the secretary of state who decided to take the decision unannounced, without further consultation with Ofqual, that exams were to be calculated and the system of calculated grades implemented,” Mr Taylor told the education select committee."

Sponsored Links
Tis a dogs breakfast

Not helped by whinging teachers

Have been working at a school and listening to there whinging Jeez us

Nothing new here move along.

Yes it's been a discrace, yes this will end up another government bashing thread, yes there is loads of people coming out the woodwork saying they advised this and that and things should have been different bla bla bla,

The government have been given a thankless task with this whole covid situation, it's one of them scenarios where no matter what the decision made it would be the wrong one.

Also the way the grades have worked out we've never had such intelligent children, record grades I hear this year, so can't be all that bad

GW is not up to the job, neither are most of the cabinet. Shower of sh ite. UK = laughing stock - AGAIN.:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Nothing new here move along.

Yes it's been a discrace, yes this will end up another government bashing thread, yes there is loads of people coming out the woodwork saying they advised this and that and things should have been different bla bla bla,

The government have been given a thankless task with this whole covid situation, it's one of them scenarios where no matter what the decision made it would be the wrong one.

Also the way the grades have worked out we've never had such intelligent children, record grades I hear this year, so can't be all that bad

Lol

The Government can marshall resources like no other organisation but when it's lead by incompetent ideaologues then you have nothing but the dismiss the issue as your only defence.

Put idiots in charge and you wonder why you get silly outcomes.

You would accept droit du seigneur!

It's hilarious that you don't see the pattern? You'll be asking 'why' next lol (shakes head).

The UK needs a a comitted grown-up in charge. (y)

no one in government is remotely qualified to make decisions for which they are put in charge of.

the same is said for previous governments, you can see that each time they have a cabinet re-shuffle.

how can someone in charge of education when they have no idea about what its like in the real world, make decisions as to how it should be run?

It's hilarious that you don't see the pattern? You'll be asking 'why' next lol (shakes head).

The UK needs a a comitted grown-up in charge. (y)

yes i see the pattern, everything they appear to touch is a complete shambles, well almost everything, i think rishi sunak has done a fantastic job, seems to be the only one that hasnt been touched by the input of cummings.

that being said, with the options we had available to us in december we've ended up with the best of a bad bunch.

if Corbyn had won he'd still be wavering as to what decision should be made, no body can honestly sit here and say it would be better with Corbyn leading it.

Lol

The Government can marshall resources like no other organisation but when it's lead by incompetent ideaologues then you have nothing but the dismiss the issue as your only defence.

Put idiots in charge and you wonder why you get silly outcomes.

You would accept droit du seigneur!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

no body can honestly sit here and say it would be better with Corbyn leading it.

By the same logic nobody can say it would be worse.

It's the hypothetical blanket that keeps RWR warm in the cosy glow that it would have been worse under <insert anyone here>.

:ROFLMAO:

By the same logic nobody can say it would be worse.

It's the hypothetical blanket that keeps RWR warm in the cosy glow that it would have been worse under <insert anyone here>.

:ROFLMAO:

ha ha ha ha

yes i must be RWR because i dont agree with your logic.

we only had evidence of the run up before the election, Corbyn could not make a clear and concise decision and spent much of his campaign dithering. What came out of his cabinets mouths were shocking at times and most was contradictory.

by voting tory people had comfort that decisions would be made, whether wrong or right they would be made. The general public had become fed up with the constant indifference from the UK government.

everyone knows boris is a buffoon, i find his voice and mannerism very annoying.

back on topic though, this year the kids are the brightest we've ever had

You seem to be saying that people didn't like one party, for various reasons, so they voted for another exactly the same.

You seem to be saying that people didn't like one party, for various reasons, so they voted for another exactly the same.

no

i'm saying didnt vate for labour due t there dithering on decisions.

the tories have made decisions, albeit questionable but they have made them.

Did some work with exam boards years ago, when I was still prepared to work public sector (I refuse now). You will not find a larger bunch of disgruntled ex/can't teach-teachers and cardigan wearers. Everyone else is thick and incompetent and thats why they can't do their job - is the mantra.

Exams had to be cancelled. Kids missed vital schooling.
Mocks could not be used as the basis for grades - because that was not the criteria the kids approached them with.
All they could do is come up with a reasonable and balanced assessment and allow kids who thought they could do better, to give it a crack in the Autumn.

Who here would sit a mock exam and then accept that as their final grade without prior knowledge.

There seems to be a view that our CoViD problems are the governments fault. only politicians cry U-turn.. normal folk see it changing course based on new info.

Sponsored Links
Back