GPS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, a quick question that i'm sure someone will know the answer to - does the GPS service on mobiles have a charge associated with it? I know that mobile internet/data download incurs a charge or must be paid for as part of your package, but is GPS a free service? Or is this contract dependant too (ie. some include it in monthly rental, others charge for usage?)

I think i've been told before GPS is free, but can't recall who told me, or even if its something i've made up myself?

Sponsored Links
GPS is free Andrew but some 'GPS Applications' use data to download map info. Google Maps is one that definitely uses data on the go.

If you check the info on the application before you purchase it should tell you if the application requires data. Not sure which 'Smart Phone' you have but I have TomTom Sat Nav on my old Windows Phone. I don't have a Sim Card in the phone but TomTom works fine (my maps are a bit out of date now though). Unfortunately there's no TomTom for Android (yet), but there are several other Sat Nav applications available for Android.

Hope that helps.

Blas - thanks for that - most helpful. I've just upgraded to the Galaxy SII so I am on Android. There is a setting in the maps app which allows it to only use GPS and WiFi - obviously I know WiFi is free (kind of) but wasn't sure if i'd be charged for the GPS bit - now I know!

Thanks! :D

GPS - ie receiving location coordinates from a satellite is free

GPRS - ie sending receiving data over the mobile network is not free

Sponsored Links
Funny my GPRS is free on my Blackberry.
Well its bundled into a £20.00 for 6 months unlimited on the Blackberry service.

I dont think gps is free.
Well it is but your mobile operator will charge you for it, via your internet connection.
You just go abroad & see what you get charged & I believe if you dont have internet option it will not work in the UK. All operators may not be the same.

Another issue
Whilst in Spain the other week, I received a text telling me that I would be charged £2 for internet use, on return to the UK I queried it & said my phone & apps are set to ask, they replied some apps do it automatically.
I GOT A £2 REFUND, THEY SAID AS A LOYAL CUSTOMER.

As I said my GPRS and GPS are free, as within the bundle.
For abroad, not used it there, i`m on holiday. The phone stays at home :D

Blas - thanks for that - most helpful. I've just upgraded to the Galaxy SII so I am on Android. There is a setting in the maps app which allows it to only use GPS and WiFi - obviously I know WiFi is free (kind of) but wasn't sure if i'd be charged for the GPS bit - now I know!

Thanks! :D
I have the Samsung Galaxy SII, excellent device.

There's a whole host of Sat Nav apps in the market Andrew. Some free, some paid for. Personally I now use Navigon on the SII. It's expensive but seems to do well. Have a look through the choices here mate:

https://market.android.com/search?q=sat+nav&so=1&c=apps

I also use a SwitchPro widget on the main screen. I use it to turn Data OFF completely so the phone cannot do updates etc. It also saves a hell of a lot on battery juice. Well worth 61 pence if you ask me.

https://market.android.com/details?...t#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImFsZWkuc3dpdGNocHJvIl0.

I dont think gps is free.
Well it is but your mobile operator will charge you for it, via your internet connection.
You just go abroad & see what you get charged & I believe if you dont have internet option it will not work in the UK. All operators may not be the same.
GPS is FREE! The GPS device (be it Mobile Phone of other GPS receiving device), locates its position using the satellite network. GPRS (Data), is not free. You MAY get unlimited data (GPRS), as part of a mobile phone plan but you're still paying for a contract.

Sponsored Links
Back