Grade 2, conservation area, single brick, dwelling and damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What should we do to fix it?

The building is an old wash house that was converted into a dwelling a long time ago. It has a single brick wall laid on a slab of concrete, no DPC and no engineering bricks. The bricks seem ok, but there's a lot of moisture in the air and in the walls and some salting occuring.

It needs bringing up to spec, but being grade 2 could make it more difficult. I'm also really not interested in razing it and starting again (even if that was possible).

Anybody know what the specs are (or could point me to where they are on the web)
What to do to get the building up to them?
Any idea of the cost if it was done by tradres rather than DIY?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Any idea of the cost if it was done by tradres rather than DIY?

How about giving us a size, roof type, any windows etc?

My first impression would be to build a 'cell' within the structure. This would involve timber stud walls and celotex insulation.

If the roof is pitched then you could renovate this and add ceiling insulation plus venting.
The floor is the only pitfall particularly if the "slab" is the same level as the rest of the dwelling as this will afford you no tolerance for insulation or damp proofing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back