Single Attatched Garage conversion questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently waiting for building regs coming back from the council, but i have a couple of questions that I would like answered before so I can get on with some pre-building work.
The floor is currenly sloping about a brick course from back to front, how do I level it before laying the DPM and insulation.
The long outside wall is 1/2 brick thick and 6.5m long and was supposed to have a pier halfway, but this was never done (butterflies have been fitted but pier neverfitted) I aim to fit patio doors here 1.8m, will i need to build piers each side, if so can i build them off the existing 4" concrete slab floor. I have cut out a section of floor inside and found the foundations to be 11 bricks down from the DPC and only wide enough for the single course. Is there anything else I could use instead of piers if the doorway needs to be strengthened. The wall is a single storey gable end and has no loading on it for the roof.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How do you intend bringing this wall up to (thermal) reg's with it only being a 1/2 brick thick wall?

I have'nt got my plans to hand, but it is something like 125 x 75mm stud wall backed with 10mm OSB and DPM with a 50mm cavity and filled with 100mm insulation batts and 12mm foil backed plasterboard. floor covered with DPM and 100mm polystyrene sheets and 100mm screed to bring it up to floor level (this is on existing 100mm thick concrete garage floor)
Cheers

Sponsored Links
For the sloping floor I'd fit tapered insulation. It's obviously designed for roofs but would do just as well on a floor.

You need a pier at the door openings. Not for load bearing purposes but because a half brick wall is too slender for a 2metre odd height. Building off the slab shouldn't be an issue. The load through the slab is negligible.

I've already got the insulation, would I be able to level the floor using sharp sand or does it have to be solid?.
thanks for the door pier answer.
Cheers john

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back