graded roof batten - does the blue colour fade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I'm looking to use some 25 x 50 batten as part of a fencing project. I was looking a some graded and ungraded batten this morning and the graded stuff looks much better - smoother finish and less knotty. If I use the graded stuff outdoors will the blue colour eventually fade? Thanks
Nick

Sponsored Links
If its the normal tanalising or such like it will go grey in a year.
Frank
P.S. "graded" timber is tested for its strength and is not specially coloured, it will have " C16 " or "C24" stamped on it.

Wow, here be dragons, never heard of or seen those, are they graded for not being shaped like a dog's leg. Structural timber uses the " C" system. Can't see a C in their number.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Don't know, but i've seen it a lot on building sites / new build. Sometimes it's red. All I know is that it looks a lot tidier than the ungraded batten in my builder's merchants

I don't think that they are blue because they have been graded, they are blue because they have been treated with preservative. The colour stays if they are kept out of sunlight - like under tiles.

What is this nonsense. All the merchants aground here just have tantalised battens. You know they are graded because they are the only ones there.

OK thanks all. I'm going to buy some - i'll have a fence that is blue for a while....

I got some of those fancy expensive blue batons delivered to a job recently and I sent the lot back rubbish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back