Gradient for patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, have decided to lay some flagstones down in the garden, and was wondering what fall/gradient would be suitable to allow water to run off (not pool). ie what is the least gradient required, such that it is barely noticeable whilst sipping a G&T

The patio will be 6m square ish, not that it matters!!??

Cheers

Sponsored Links
about 1/4 bubble on a spirit level will be more than adequate or somewhere in teh region of 1:80. You wont notice it when sipping the pimms

Sponsored Links
Excuse me for putting my 10 pence worth in this, but I have laid my own patio with pavoirs and edging stones and I have used a drop of about 1inch over 20 feet.

Right or wrong, this has worked for me and (so far) I have had no problems with drainage or pooling.

My only caveat is that I dug out a half metre wide trench, about 1.5 metres deep, back filled with rubble and shingle to about half way and put a mixture of sand and soil back on top to level with the finished patio.

My patio is 15 feet out from the house and as wide as my garden (about 50 feet wide).

I pegged the ground in one metre squares and laid a 2 metre rigid straight aluminium "I" bar over them and using a spirit level, created a fall away from the house where the bubble in the glass eye was touching the black line away from the house. Just made sure they were level across the sideways aspect.

It may not be scientific or right, but it worked for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back