Grand National

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, Anyone having a dabble at the Grand National ?

Race goes ahead at 4.15 get ya bets in lol :)

Bet ill choose the fookin donkey again haha

Good luck who ever does it

Sponsored Links
I got this hot tip from an insider once, Pashtoo, was the horse to win, in a random race, so this tip went round, and everyone gathered round this dusty old black and white telly, in our lunch break...

It started off and raced to the front, then halfway round, it went backwards. Bah!

Then a few years later, I saw the same horse again, (as you are not allowed to name a horse, from a previous horses name), in the Grand National; what the heck, put some money on it.

It died at the 4th.

So horseracing, and gambling is over for me, even though I only found out quite recently that my Great Grandad, was the starter of horses at Yick, and used his best tablecloth as the start flag..?!

I went on a horse many years ago, and the horse decided to halt, then I fell off. Not a fan of horses.

I have to honestly confess that, several years ago I went up the local on Grand National Day.

The pub was full of punters telling me to put my money on such and such a horse. I ended up placing bets of around £60 -£70 , stayed to watch the race at the pub.

Watching horse after horse , fall at the fences, I ordered another pint (probably be called binge drinking today) The only horse I had left in the race survived the carnage and came in second. Hedgehunter was the horse, Can't remember the year or the price, but I left the pub with a lot less money than I went in with (not including the price of the beer).

Missus was at work at the time and when she got home, I remember she was bloody angry with me. (serves me right).

Later on we went up the local, only to find I had some money to come back off the sweepstake the pub had run. Yeah, Hallelujah, I'd won £30 as I had the winner (picked out a week before) Result. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I went into to place a bet, must be two years ago and went for a horse at 100/1, my mother who I was visiting at the time but her bet on another random horse, hers led the pack all the way to the last stretch and fell. Mine won. Since then I have never bet, just so I can say the last time I did I won.

Sponsored Links
I must admit it never ceases to amaze me that anyone can enjoy making a bet on which biped thrashes the quadruped underneath him/her sufficently hard enough to get round an assault course first...

Another do gooder!

Bet you never drop litter, your pets don not bother others. Your a veggie but wish for a bacon sandwich.
Send money abroad when its needed here.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzz, you have bored me already.

I must admit it never ceases to amaze me that anyone can enjoy making a bet on which biped thrashes the quadruped underneath him/her sufficently hard enough to get round an assault course first...

Are you a vegetarian?

Are you a vegetarian?
Nope - I quite enjoy a good horse steak from a humane source...

I just don't believe in treating an animal as a sport object!

It would be cruel to not run the horses, the horses are bred to run and jump....its what makes them happy. Sticking them in a field wouldn't be fair on them.....it may seem ok to us, but not to he horses.

It annoys me when you get the hypocritical animal activists (not saying you are one by the way) who complain, then go home and have themselves a steak!....they dont mind eating the meat from an animal that has been electrocuted or had a bolt through its head! but let a horse do something it enjoys and all hell breaks loose!

The Grand National is the most famous race in the world that started in the early 1800's and now watched worldwide by over 600 million people with well over a billon pounds changing hands in bets. Still if it's not your thing..

Anyway it's the only betting I do, just once a year, never more than a tenner on each horse, £40 or £50 max spend.

Result this year :mrgreen:

win.jpg

I agree snico, but seeing 2 horses die today, (and one on Thursday) doesn't sit too well with me. Horses do not jump lenghts / heights like that for fun - although I agree that horses do need to run.

Mr. W.

No its not nice to see a horse die, but these horses wouldn't even exist if it wasnt for racing. They are very well looked after and cared for and have a great life. The fences at the races now are much smaller and flexible in give to the horses.

BUT......Unfortunately these horses are the lucky ones, hundreds of racehorses are slaughtered each year for animal foods. But seeing as I like meat, and I know how my steak/pork/lamb got on my table, I cant really complain!

Certain animals are bred for a reason, otherwise they would be extinct. Cows, Horses, Chickens.

Cows and Chickens for food and milk obviously, Horses were once used for transport purposes, when the motorcar came in, they were then obsolete, as people don't eat them, they just make glue (unless your French), so race them, and breed them, or lose them altogether.

Where is this argument 'Don't eat meat', the meat we eat is farmed, otherwise the animals we eat, will not exist. Even fish is farmed thesedays..So do people want to keep a species alive, or extinct?

Why would grazing animals like horses and cows be extinct if we didn't eat them? There's not that many natural predators for them and lots of grass. They got along alright for god knows how many years before we started scoffing them.

Sponsored Links
Back