Grand National

So, you didnt see the loose horses refuse Beaches first time around? No, thought not

That's not much of a counter argument when every year many loose horses complete the course jumping over fences and obstructing other horses.

Sponsored Links
You can of course provide conclusive proof that any horse really enjoys running the Grand national Disgrace?... ;)

Presumably followed by your conclusive proof that they don't ????

So, you didnt see the loose horses refuse Beaches first time around? No, thought not. :eek: :rolleyes:

Mr. W.

Don't be a t*t all your life soggy..... What conclusive evidence does that show then ????

For what it's worth, I've seen hundreds of races where horses with unseated jockeys continue the race without them.
Possibly loving every minute of it.......Who knows. ????
Certainly not you or me.

Pure bred horses love to run, they run in the paddocks chasing eachother.
They await morning exercise like a geek going to work on the 06:30 commuter to the city.
They are well fed and looked after.

One sad note, my "horse" was actually a donkey and came 3rd!
still won a few quid though:D

Oh yeah, worked on many stables and the horses love it. If you knew anything about them.

I think the point has been alluded to, horses would not exist today, if they were not used for racing. They used to be used as general transport, and it was not uncommon to flog a dead horse, inbreeding produced thoroughbreds, which were raced, for money, if interbreeding didn't exist, and the horses function has ceased, then why have horses at all?

Same with cows. As I alluded to, no cows don't have a natural predator, but cows need bulls to procreate with, bulls wild? Maiming humans? All bulls would be killed off, cows would not be born, no more cows. They are only managed, effectively for food. If they were not bred for food, then they wouldn't exist at all. So nurture a creature, to kill for food, or an extint animal? So no animal for food, or anything else?

Apparently the Dodo bird tasted awful, but was wiped out anyways, for food. Leave a few for breeding, if it's not to taste, it's extinct.

I wonder how many sportsmen, have died in their sport, that are not bred to be expendable, compared to animals bred in essence to die.

A horses DNA is to run, a cows DNA is to stand around in a field, and not provide milk to people, a racing driver, is not to die. Not in his DNA.

Sponsored Links
After repeated warnings for Moody to get back to the lab, the mission has failed.

If you see him on the streets shoot to disable only................ (and the horse he's flogging, the dead one, munching on a Dodo).
We need them back at the lab for further research.

I've found the stat now - it is just taking into account the Grand National meeting (all three days, not just the one race) at Aintree since (and including) the 2000 meeting and in that time 33 horses died. Over the three days this year, 317 horses ran, assuming that is common of every year, 3804 horses have run at the Grand National meeting since 2000 so that works out at 0.86% of the horses that have run. Higher than originally calculated, but still very low.

But why do you think that is 'very low'?...imagine the outcry at the human casualty rate of the 10,000m hurdles based on those figures..

The grand national is raced in the middle of the afternoon and its almost certain that a lot of children were watching. I think that any adult watching wouldn't have needed the commentator to point out that the horses had died and that children watching would be better left in ignorant bliss.
So it's ok to keep our kids from knowing the truth then?...That's how barbaric practices are allowed to continue!

I think 'emergency oxygen' is a bit sensationalist too, the race organisers said at 8.30am that all horses would be given oxygen and water as a precaution straight after all the races due to the (relatively) high temperatures expected. This was pre-planned and given 'just-in-case' rather than because the horses specifically needed it. For the first time the jockey demounted the horse immediately after the race so the saddle could be removed and the horses doused with water to cool them.
Actually it's Because they would probably be forced into a dehydrated, exhausted and potentially cardiac arrest situation, due to being pushed beyond the limit....When a person races, he/she knows when they hit 'the wall' and then decides to take the risk - a horse is bullied beyond it unknowingly, only because of the money at stake!

Other horse racing nations and states in other 'civilised countries' have (as a first move hopefully) banned jumps because they have realised the cruelty of it.

Nope, i'm sure they wont, but that doesn't stop it being true! A couple of weeks ago a woman was killed near here after coming off a motorbike and ending up under the wheels of a lorry. That lorry driver could be the safest driver in the world but there was nothing he could have done differently to prevent that from happening, and i'm sure he's been seriously affected mentally by the accident. There are a great many things in life that we as humans do that are dangerous, we do lots of things to make these things as safe as possible, but no matter what precautions you take, accidents will still happen in all aspects of life from time to time.
If you could point out whether there have ever been any decision taking, motorbike riding/lorry driving equines, then I'd have to agree with you.... ;)

7 people have died in the last 20 years as a direct result (there may have been more, but once you've left the finish area of the race it is no longer classed as being caused by the marathon) of running the London Marathon, admittedly a lower percentage but there's certainly no 'outcry' about it, in fact, i'm not even sure any of the deaths made the news? 10,000m hurdles?????

Yes, I think it is right to keep children from knowing the truth. Whether their parents should let them watch the race, knowing what may happen is another issue, but having been allowed to watch it by their parents, I don't think anyone would benefit from the children learning the truth that way.

"Actually, its because they would PROBABLY be forced into a dehydrated exhausted and POTENTIALLY cardiac arrest situation,"
So you're agreeing with me then? - they didn't neccesarily NEED the oxygen, it was given as a precaution... In almost every race where a horse unseats its rider, the loose horse continues to run and jump the fences, who exactly is 'bullying' these horses to carry on? 4 of the horses were 'pulled up' on Saturday, 2 of them because the horse was tired, they certainly weren't 'bullied' into carrying on. And do you really think an 11 stone horse CAN be bullied into carrying on against its will. I've seen horses refuse to enter a starting trap and 4 men and the jockey can't convince them otherwise. If the horse really didn't want to jump a fence it wouldn't - i've seen a horse that doesn't fancy a fence just stop in front of it, and that's it, race over.

Which nations and states have banned jump racing then? I don't follow overseas horse racing so i've no idea?

Nope, I can't give you an example of a horse riding a bike, sorry. The point I was trying to make is that if the organisers of the race were just letting any old horse turn up on the day to jump huge fences then I would agree with everything you say. But only top quality horses are allowed to race and everything possible is done to make it safe, but no matter how carefully things are done, and how safe things are made, you can't completely remove risk in anything in life.

Yes, I think it is right to keep children from knowing the truth. Whether their parents should let them watch the race, knowing what may happen is another issue, but having been allowed to watch it by their parents, I don't think anyone would benefit from the children learning the truth that way.
We are not talking about showing the gory details here, just relating the truth that the horses had died! And where do you think that most kids get a lot of their ideas from? Better to tell them the truth than believing a lie!

So you're agreeing with me then? - they didn't neccesarily NEED the oxygen, it was given as a precaution...
Do you understand the difference between saying something is 'probable', rather than saying it's a 'precaution'? - The latter is the same as saying something is possible which is completely different!

So hardly 'agreeing' is it... :rolleyes:

In almost every race where a horse unseats its rider, the loose horse continues to run and jump the fences, who exactly is 'bullying' these horses to carry on?
They are conditioned to continue because of training methods which often bully them to jump, and in all likelihood they are reacting in a way to avoid a 'punishment' for not doing so....If there is no bullying in a race, why do riders have whips? And why are there many many cases of fines/bans for excessive use of said whips?

Which nations and states have banned jump racing then? I don't follow overseas horse racing so i've no idea?
One notable example for you is most of Australia, but there are many more (including the nation with about a fifth of the worlds population!)...

But only top quality horses are allowed to race and everything possible is done to make it safe, but no matter how carefully things are done, and how safe things are made, you can't completely remove risk in anything in life.
That is all well and good if you apply that theory to an animal that understands the nature of the risk, or that there may be a risk at all. So do you really believe a horse actually understands that by jumping a fence it can end up breaking it's neck?

Funny how there's more sympathy for the jockey in hospital (the only animal that understands risk) than the horses killed... ;)

and in all likelihood

Yep.... :LOL: this is the conclusive proof that ellal demanded earlier in the thread.... :LOL:
Yep - that's the words of someone who weighs things up 'in the balance', rather than spout absolutes which I believe the proponents of the Grand National Disgrace have done here...

So yet another one who doesn't understand the difference between 'probable' and 'possible' ...

No surprise there though ;)

Funny how there's more sympathy for the jockey in hospital (the only animal that understands risk) than the horses killed... ;)
Why should that be funny or surprising?

Whoosh....

That's the sound of an ironic comment going right over the head of someone who can't think of anything constructive to say.... ;)

Strangely enough, I agree with ellal on this. I think the Grand National and all National Hunt racing is cruel. Although I think flat racing is quite good. Less risk to the horse.

Sponsored Links
Back