Granite worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Fitting a new kitchen soon and still have to decide what type of worktops to fit.

I'd like to fit granite worktops - anyone have any good / bad experience with them ?

Cheers,

P.J.

Sponsored Links
the plus points are they are as tough as they come, you can put hot pans straight on them etc. They look great.
the downsides are cost and that they need to be precut off site, includes any joins cut outs for sinks hobs etc that you may need. if you intend to fit them yourself then, best bet is to make up templates from ply once you have your kitchen in place that way all your fittings hobs, sinks tap holes etc will be in the correct place make up two one from 6mm to send to the people who are making your worktops and one from say 12mm so you have something to use while they are making them.

We have ordered an MFI kitchen and went and got a granite worktop seperatly.

The only downside is that MFI wouldn't sell me a sink, unless I bought the worktop from them (they are a bunch of cowboys)

The worktop isn't in yet, so cant tell you exactly. but we were impressed with the samples we were shown.
There are a few websites that will give you accurate quotes also

That's great advice thanks. :D

MFI sold me a kitchen with sink and taps but without the worktops. :eek:

MFI did say that the carcusses need to be strengthened if you put granite worktops on them but the guy was a bit shady about telling me how exactly. Anyone know about this?

Does anyone have any specifics on the websites for the granite supply ?

Many thanks,
P.J.

Sponsored Links
http://www.thegraniteworkshop.co.uk/
http://www.graniteworktops-direct.com/page1.htm
http://www.qstoneworks.co.uk/index.html
http://www.polishedstone.co.uk/penquiry.htm

these are the ones I used.
The granite workshop one is who we are going with. We went to visit and it is an old farmhouse, but the guys seem to have a real passion for what they do - one of the others we went to, it was more about sell, sell, sell

If you type in granite worktop into any search engine, you will get loads of choices

ta

With granite worktop prices starting from around £170 per linear metre

Waaaaaah? :eek: That first link gives a quote of about £4K for a largish kitchen! Nice.

Of course, if you want to really go insane, concrete worktops start at about £300 a metre... :eek:

Is the granite 'sealed' ?

In engineering, we used granite inspection 'table tops' the interesting thing was that they were porus ... we built a circular plasticine dam filled it with water and left overnight in air conditioned room at 20°C, Next morning no water ! Tried this experiment on several tables in different areas .. same result. BTW Subsequent (12 monthly) Table grading inspection showed no attribute degradation .. like flatness, smoothness due to using wet proprietary cleaners even soapy water etc.
Just thinking about what may seep into the 'top' if porus ... not all nice stuff I imagine !!
Can anyone give it a blast ?
Is this stuff good, makes a point on lack of porosity :- http://www.ikd.ltd.uk/worktops_minerelle.htm
P

Graeme M
We have ordered an MFI kitchen and went and got a granite worktop seperatly.

The only downside is that MFI wouldn't sell me a sink, unless I bought the worktop from them (they are a bunch of cowboys)
=========

I bought my kitchen from MFI including the sink, I did not buy any worktops. I had 1 or 2 items damaged on delivery (May04), telephone them Aug replacements arrived 4 weeks later, no problems, have just telephoned them to collect surplus items (that I over ordered ), collection arranged. I have found them brilliant once you get the telephone answered.

I have now bought & fitted B + Q work tops (cut to size) as I intend to ceramic tile

Diyisfun said:
I have now bought & fitted B + Q work tops (cut to size) as I intend to ceramic tile
If it's a standard size worktop thickness I'm thinking you might be coming up a bit high plus the thickness of tiles + adhesive.
The way I did mine was to use exterior plywood with two difference layer of thickness with glue + screw. You need to work out the overall thickness including tiles so you can use the MFI worktop moulding in front of it unless you have a difference idea on the moulding front.

AdamW said:
With granite worktop prices starting from around £170 per linear metre

Waaaaaah? :eek: That first link gives a quote of about £4K for a largish kitchen! Nice.

Of course, if you want to really go insane, concrete worktops start at about £300 a metre... :eek:

We have a large kitchen and needed 4 metres of worktop on one side and about 1.5 on the other.
Total cost with templating, cutting, fitting etc is just over £2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back