Grant 90 Outdoor Oil Burner Drain Cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Is there drain cock on the Grant 90 outdoor oil burner? I can't see one anywhere and I need to drain it so I can replace the pressure gauge which has stopped working.

Thanks in advance,

Adam

Sponsored Links
You don't need to drain it. Use the pressure relief valve to remove the water pressure, cover the burner with a plastic sheet, then put a cloth under the gauge port. Have the new one ready, and get a move on changing them over. You wont lose much water.

Bottom RHS below and to the right of the burner. You run the risk of getting crud in the seating of the PRV and it not reseating causing a leak of repressurisation.

You run the risk of getting crud in the seating of the PRV and it not reseating causing a leak of repressurisation.

The PRV is at the top of the boiler, I have NEVER got crud causing a problem as all the crud sinks to the bottom, where it HAS been a problem getting stuck in a little used drain cock, assuming the washer doesn't disintegrate anyway. The only problem I have had with PRVs is the knob gets stuck, or turns with no useful effect.

This attitude of discouraging opening of the PRV is contrary to the requirement to check its operation to ensure it is not stuck (as it is a safety device), when the consequences can be far more damaging. If you need a reference, see BSS 7074 part 1. (see Grant manual section 5.1)

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much for your reponse.

The pressure relief valve, is that underneath the top cover? It isn't noted on my diagram. How do I open it?

I would much rather get a professional round to do the job, however, the earliest I can get one out is the end of January ???

Adam

is the boiler working?
no problem in waiting if it does ;)

if it goes above 3bar it will blow out anyway.

It's on the top, and has a red knob, usually with an arrow pointing anti-clockwise. Twist in direction of arrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back