Grant or Worcester Oil Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Which make would people reccomend? I see there are old post of the same question but I thought it may be worth asking an up to date opinion. We're thinking either Worcester Heatslave 2 18/25 or Grant Vortex pro 26. I understand that Worcester after care is far better.

I wonder about the EV however as the WB is 12L and the Grant is 24L. We have 13 rads and kitch/diner UFH. The installer says 12L is fine

Sponsored Links
My Worcester Heatslave seems to be a collection of parts from many manufacturers, so not sure how different other makes would be? I am told new oil boilers are condensing, however it seems oil can't vary the output in the same way as gas, so too big may be more of a problem than too small.

I was in this exact situation a few months ago.
I needed my ancient open vented system changed to a modern combi.
Local Worcester installers slated Grant, saying they were crap.
Local Grant installers slated Worcester, saying they were crap! No further forward here then.
Anyway, a great local installer recommended a Worcester so in went a Heatslave 2 18/25 combi. 7 year warranty, complete with a filter. I pay around £13 per month for service and upkeep of warranty.
Early days I know but all's good and the installation was superb! Lets see how things go.
John :)

Navien LCB700. Stainless steel heat exchanger, two stage burner, OpenTherm, and a 10 year warranty

Sponsored Links
Navien LCB700. Stainless steel heat exchanger, two stage burner, OpenTherm, and a 10 year warranty
I googled it and it looks interesting. I'll ask the installer. Any complications in having it serviced?

We are Grant registered installer's average around 2 a week very few problems
In the past 5 years have taken out 2 leaking Grant's both over 12 years old .
In same period taken out a leaking worcester nearly every week some not 4 years old.
Picture of 5 year old worcester found leaking 6 weeks out of warranty installed with worcester filter correctly serviced customer told where to go by worcester as its out of warranty !

Attachments

• 20231108_151353.jpg
    20231108_151353.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 45
We are Grant registered installer's average around 2 a week very few problems
In the past 5 years have taken out 2 leaking Grant's both over 12 years old .
In same period taken out a leaking worcester nearly every week some not 4 years old.
Picture of 5 year old worcester found leaking 6 weeks out of warranty installed with worcester filter correctly serviced customer told where to go by worcester as its out of warranty !
That does not look good. I am veering towards the Grant

I am also looking at the EV as previous service engineers have said the 24L is too small for my house, which the Grant has but the WB is a 12L EV. WB manual says 180L at 0.5bar in the system, including water in the boiler. If I am reading it right, Grant says 105L in the system excl. the boiler, which I think is 48.5L. We have 13 rad and kitch/diner UFH. Included in the 13 are 3 large 2-column rads that total 45L alone.

I think I must be reading the manuals wrong.

I have been given bad advice from engineers in the past so I am trying to be as certain as possible

Attachments

• 1720624939666.png
    1720624939666.png
    171 KB · Views: 26
  • 1720625139887.png
    1720625139887.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 33
If your pushing anywhere near the capacity of built in expansion vessel I would be fitting a extra one.
Grant do make a 26kw combi that's narrower than the standard one expansion vessel is fitted elsewhere wherever you can fit it .
We have used that one with larger than standard expansion vessel to get round problem you have.

So with the 24L grant, it's still wouldn't be big enough?

Thanks

So with the 24L grant, it's still wouldn't be big enough?

Thanks
We have certainly had to increase expansion vessel capacity on systems with several designer/column type radiators.
There is no pressure switch on current Grant combi's so we do tend to run them at .75 bar rather than 1 bar or above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back