Grasping at straws (regarding apprenticeship)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't suppose there are any sparks here in the lincoln area who are in a position to take on an apprentice?

I'm very quickly running out of time (end of september is when the college say I need to have found employment to be accepted onto the course)

I keep contacting different companies, but time and time again it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall, and even when things start to go positivly, luck soon turns against me.

EDIT: daft mistakes fixed, @ mod, you can ignore the RTM

Sponsored Links
I am in Scotland - to I can't give you employment, but can give my opinion

Firstly, be different !

Don't just send in a typed CV, write a covering letter (5 lines max) to accompany CV. If someone can't be bothered to put pen to paper I can't be bothered reading it- chances their mum made them send it.

Secondly, be different !
After sending CV and letter wait 3 days and call companies to ask whether they recieved it.

Third,
Persist
Keep trying.

When you call the companies have a brief few words worked out. ie get your message into 2 sentances and give it when the phone answers.
Don't hesitate and be positive.
Offer to work for a couple of days for nothing ! :)
don't sound desperate - put it forward as a try before you buy.

I have someone working for me now and he is excellent, but keep trying.

If you don't get an apprenticeship ask if you can work as an apprentice but not go to college- thus will get you paid, employed and experience. When next year comes round you will have a major advantage over all other potential apprentice candidates (nearly a years on job experience)

Good luck and keep trying

try applyin for an electricians mate. i tried that, but all places said i needed C&G in regulatnions (2381?) so i went to college on a night course for 3 month (3H per week). once i got the cert, i never did apply anywhere else for electricians mate...

Sponsored Links
On the subject of CV's I have just been reading through about 40, well tell a lie maybe 10 the others were just so badly layed out & with a bad covering letter.

There is a lot to cv writing & there are many tips & hints on the www. Whilst a lot of trades people cant spell, spelling mistakes on a CV, THERE IS NO excuse FOR.

Good luck

Adam
I had exactly the same problem as you this time last year. I must have phoned about 50 sparks until finally I found one who would take me on for a day or two a week, but for lunch and travel costs only. However, this helped me rapidly gain skills and experience and now I'm really busy working for 3 different people! So keep at it.
Also I fibbed a bit a college and said I had some work - they didn't seem too bothered that it wasn't full time (or any time at one point!)..... If you've got half a brain you will pick it up as you go along anyway.

Best of luck
SB

as a bathroom fitter/tiler I recieve about 15 letters a week from guys an girls wanting a start as plumbers mate /apprentice ..

some of these are classics an our local merchants have a board where the best are displayed (names /addys ,not shown ..of course lol )

Here are some real good snippets ,

"since I have been on my meds I dont hear the voices anymore,although my mam says I wasnt right since she dropped me as a baby
an my care worker says I would be good to work with pipes an stuff ,would I be burning things an going in peoples houses ,I like doing them things "

"I like plumbers ,I like the uniforms do you wear a uniform is it cotton twill? will I be made to wear heavy cotton twill, when you working is it hot an sweaty an in bathrooms are we both in there ...I will need to use knee pads as my knees are knackered ,you will be working hard upright (*sic!LOL*)an me on my knees , I dont mind ,lol
one last point I must stress to you Im a Gay man ,I hope this won't be a problem,as Im no fairy ?"

"have you a job for me,or what??"

"I have recently left my nine to five career as an estate agent (insert any white coller profession going even had a priest sending a letter !)behind as I am after earning more as a plumber ,"

they have even said they would pay me weekly to train them/sign off their assessments on site training so they can do a bish/bosh mickey mouse plumbing course at the local tech ,

Adam_151
I hope you get sorted , but one point I must add is if a firm are going to put the time/effort into your training you must give them some respect once you are trained up , an not flit off on your jack jones...???

If you stress to an employer your commited to his business an not just a """USER"""....that to many firm owners is better to hear than you got AAAAstar GSCEs malarkey ..+ A BIT OF GET UP AN GO HELPS TOO ...which Im sure you have in bucket fulls .. :)

hope you get sorted soon ...

other thing to do is make yourself look presentable, find out the names of a few of the bosses of the local companies (just ring up and ask) go into them with your cv in hand and ask to speak to them. Hand them your cv, state that you know they are very busy, but would appreciate it if they would take the time to read your cv as you are after an apprenticship, and that you will leave it with them.

It shows youve made the effort of finding out who they are, they can put a face to the name, it shows initiative and get up and go, and people judge you on your appearance. Takes some balls to do it, and your get a few brush offs from receptionists, but its worth a try

Good luck ;)

you know that, i know that, but the people he wants to consider his application wont cos they are the bosses, and a little bit of flattery goes a long way! :LOL:

Slightly off topic Adam_151 but it does seem to me getting a job now is harder :confused:

My 18yrs old son is now a qualified computer IT, repair them build them and can do anything with them and even passed a Visual Net basic exam which taken him 2 yrs at evening school cost £2500 to do.

He has written to 17 IT companys in the last 3 months who are advertising for jobs and only 1 has bothered to replies. He went to 1 interview 45 mile away who said he's too young and was amazed the vasts experience of knowedge he has at that age but they wanted somebody senior. :confused: :confused:

Prior to that about 6 months ago he went to Milan for 4 days helping a Amercian company called Pennwell which also based here in the UK setting up all the internet cafe in Milan with all hotel/food/drink etc paid for and even they don't want to lose him but cannot offer him a job :!:

masona said:
Slightly off topic Adam_151 but it does seem to me getting a job now is harder :confused:

My 18yrs old son is now a qualified computer IT, repair them build them and can do anything with them and even passed a Visual Net basic exam which taken him 2 yrs at evening school cost £2500 to do.

He has written to 17 IT companys in the last 3 months who are advertising for jobs and only 1 has bothered to replies. He went to 1 interview 45 mile away who said he's too young and was amazed the vasts experience of knowedge he has at that age but they wanted somebody senior. :confused: :confused:

Prior to that about 6 months ago he went to Milan for 4 days helping a Amercian company called Pennwell which also based here in the UK setting up all the internet cafe in Milan with all hotel/food/drink etc paid for and even they don't want to lose him but cannot offer him a job :!:

its always the same. you cant get a job because you dont have a job! catch 22

Sponsored Links
Back