Grass/Soil up against concrete fence.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The grass in our garden does not go right up against the concrete base of the fence, see image. The gap varies but makes it look untidy. Is there a gap for a reason? i.e. to stop moisture from the soils up against the concrete? Or can I fill it with soil and then seed over it? Or should I protect the concrete in some way? Thanks I’m advance.

IMG_6761.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As above - perhaps with a weed membrane underneath to hold it tidy.
Although i wouldn't have the grass verge so close to the fence so it's easier to mow.

Sponsored Links
Am I missing something? Not sure you can get the grass any closer
Not the best picture, taken through the patio window. The gap is 5/6 inches in some places. A lot of the grass is just growing towards / over the gap. It’s worse than it seems.

I did think of gravel. But wouldn’t grass against gravel look just as untidy after a while?

Does anyone clip the edge of their lawn with a pair of long handled clippers any more?

How long does it take you?
Only a few residents want that kind of cutting edge treatment done on their lawns nowadays; usually the high rollers on the hill, who want everything cut 'just so', with nary a leaf out of place.
I used to enjoy it, creating a zen of concentration on a sunny day but the rhythm creates a hell of rsi for me now.

Nothing wrong with filling in those gaps with a soil and grass seed mix and then strim when established.

It would be different if it werent concrete.

Don't do gravel.

Cats will use it as a litter tray, birds will chuck the stones up looking for food, it'll get onto your lawn, etc.

Best thing you can do is run a straight line (string) stepped away from the fence. Cut along this line with a spade or edging tool and dig out everything between that and the fence.

You'll then have a nice clean border and a crisp lawn edge (if you cut it with lawn edging sheerers).

Does anyone clip the edge of their lawn with a pair of long handled clippers any more?

Absolutely! The sight of a stiped lawn with neat edges is a sight of satisfaction. Clippings are just hoed into the soil which provides food for the shrubs in the border.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back