Grassing old path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,
I’m just digging up an old yorkshire stone path that looked like it was originally used to get to a coal bin.

Ideally we just want to fill it and grass over it.

The channel is roughly 6-7 inch deep and soil is sticky and claylike. Through the rainy season we get a lot of marshy waterlogged areas.

Stuck on 2 things.

1. What should we fill it with before grassing it?
We have a lot of builders sand left by some builders who did an extension, so I planned on filling it up with that so far then putting a soil/manure mix down flatten it, grass seed it and then cover with a thing layer of top soil.

2. Would I be best off turfing it rather than seeding it. The size is roughly 18x2ft

Thanks

Attachments

• 109B9B88-F70C-4C5A-B148-B027AE100801.jpeg
    109B9B88-F70C-4C5A-B148-B027AE100801.jpeg
    914.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
If the water table is high because of the clay, you will still have problems with waterlogging.

blup

Are the stones still good to use? Old stone is expensive to replace so if they can still be used i'd re-lay them on a bed of sand, gravel and shale to help the stones drain away water. You could plant moss in the gaps to add a touch of colour, if you like.
If the stones are past their best i'd still opt for a raised bed to help drainage and lay turf on top. Check out different varieties for toughness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back