Gravel drive / leaves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I've got a large drive that I'm considering finishing with 10mm screening (cant face paying £10+k for tarmac)

There's quite a few trees around, will the stone weight be an issue when blowing the leaves away?

Thanks ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, I've got a large drive that I'm considering finishing with 10mm screening (cant face paying £10+k for tarmac)

There's quite a few trees around,
Gravel + leaves = ouch!:(

Blowing leaves is great fun whilst they are dry and crispy. Get a load of them tucked away in a corner, wet and limp and they are a reet pain in the arris.

will the stone weight be an issue when blowing the leaves away?
Not sure what you mean?

Thanks mate and thats what I thought. However realistically its the only way that I can finish the house and make it look presentable. Will make my much hated leafs even more annoying.

The stone weight.. I was wondering if a leaf blower is likely to ping them around everywhere, being 10mm?

I was in a similar situation had a large area but couldn't stretch to tarmac, paving etc so used gravel but did it properly, grids, membrane etc it's been great.

You get the odd weed and leaves but once a week a have a quick whip around keep ontop.

Consider using 20mm gravel especially with cars and as mentioned the grids make such a difference if you can budget for em'. Uploaded a few pics of ours.

I can't quite answer your question but I'd imagine if I were to use a leaf blower on it the gravel wouldn't move around to much. As above especially if dry.

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_114141.jpg
    IMG_20191223_114141.jpg
    593.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_20191221_120454.jpg
    IMG_20191221_120454.jpg
    698.6 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_20200316_120803.jpg
    IMG_20200316_120803.jpg
    642.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looks well mate! I've decided against membrane as I'm not sure effective they are tbh. Hadn't considered the grids, did you get them from screwfix? My drive is massive and extra expense would be large :( Trust they are to hold the stone in place? Is that 20mm that you have used in the photos? Thanks

The grids I used came with built in membrane it worked out at roughly £8.50 per sqm which soon adds up but I can't stress the difference it makes.

Yeah the gravel I used is 20mm black basalt even this size we get a few pieces onto the road the smaller size would be worse regards cars. Angular gravel is also a better choice.

Attachments

• IMG_20190915_183822.jpg
    IMG_20190915_183822.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20190915_183811.jpg
    IMG_20190915_183811.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 220
Okay that’s great, many thanks for the help.

Maybe just consider the grids where you know you will be driving/parking. Unless you have 5 cars?

Great advice, Mike. Hadn’t considered that

Guys I'm figuring out how much grid to buy.. Am I right in thinking the most useful position for it would be where the car is likely to park or turn? Thanks.

Guys I'm figuring out how much grid to buy.. Am I right in thinking the most useful position for it would be where the car is likely to park or turn?
I'd say that would be the most sensible. The gravel will want to migrate away from the wheel traffic areas so containing it there would be a good idea. You will run it bare though no matter what you do.

I've been very pleased with an old hoggin drive. You have to roll or plate it down hard to consolidate, but it is resitant to rutting or kicking up. The one I had was over a hundred years old and lasted well except where some idiot tipped pea shingle on it.

my neighbour had his done in 30mm pebbles which are awkward to walk over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back