Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am currently in the process of getting some quotes for a new boiler,

I have been told different things about whether I can keep my cylinder,

it is a Gravity Hot water cylinder but was only installed last year so I am

hoping to keep it, I understand the system needs upgrading to a fully

pumped one but can this still be done with this type of cylinder?? Many thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
No you can't reuse it on your fully pumped system if the cylinder is a primatic cylinder (as it will be on a gravity system).

But stupid to leave it on gravity without independent time and temperature control.

When I was first trained in energy efficiency it was in black and white that if you changed a cylinder or a boiler either, then you had to upgrade rest of system to part L.

It seems there has been a load of corrupt people weedling their way out of it and eventually what was then in black and white has been replaced by a confusing load of piffle which large corrupt companies misapropriating our hard earned taxes are using to get away with leaving you with an inefficient system.

in short you have been had. New cylinder fitted last year and not updated? Criminal! New boiler this year and not updating? criminal!

Sponsored Links
No you can't reuse it on your fully pumped system if the cylinder is a primatic cylinder (as it will be on a gravity system).

Not really, if he has a water tank in his loft feeding the cylinder then it won`t be a primatic and therefore should be ok to keep shouldn`t it ?

The chances are massive that you have a standard indirect cylinder which you can definitely reuse, especially as its only a year old...the replacement would be identical!
Gravity hot water is the method of heating the cylinder not a description of the cylinder itself.

Thankyou for all of your help guys. Paul, I did say that the system would be converted to fully pumped, not left on gravity, sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.

Thanks once again, Lucy

Not really, if he has a water tank in his loft feeding the cylinder then it won`t be a primatic and therefore should be ok to keep shouldn`t it ?

You can have (and usually do have) a tank in the loft on primatic systems. The way you would tell the difference - the easy way is to look at the sticker on top of the cylinder. Or you could look at the circs if they are 28mm and have no aav on them then they are on a primatic cylinder.

Yeah, but you would only have one tank in the loft with a primatic and you would normally find 28mm circs on any gravity hot water system.
(Referring to gorepair.)

Or you could look at the circs if they are 28mm and have no aav on them then they are on a primatic cylinder.

still don't mean its primatic
you have indirect cylinders with 28mm gravity and no aav.

But if you don't have a vent point on the circs then its either a primatic or an installation fault. By indirect you probably mean the coil type cylinder (which should have a vent point otherwise the circs could airlock) but don't forget a primatic cylinder is indirect. And most domestic circs on an indirect coil cylinder would be 22mm.

36_1_11.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back