Gravity hot water cylinder

Sponsored Links
I was taking that it was a standard cylinder which is far more common than a primatic even on gravity,
BUT Gorepairs you can make a primatic fully pumped, before you answer do a little research ;)

it is not true that Gravity systems are always, or usually, Primatic.

I am a householder, not a pro, and have only had two Gravity systems in my past homes. One was installed 40 years ago, and one about 15. One of my relations had one put in about 50 years ago.

None of them was Primatic

Surely there are not very many primatics still around? The OP says his cylinder was replaced in the last year or so

Sponsored Links
All the warm air unit circulators on the early 90's housing estates around here are on primatics but I have never ever seen a coventional gravity system on one.

Surely there are not very many primatics still around? The OP says his cylinder was replaced in the last year or so

There are very few cylinders around.

you can still buy primatics and some numpties are still puting them in..

Im not sure but if its a year old ,i cant see how its a primatic cylinder since they dont make them anymore, as far as i know. If its gravity fed, just use the 28mm primaries for the new boiler and tee into the flow and returns to the heating.

How many tanks in the loft.

One it's a primatic or direct :LOL:

Two it's an indirect.

I wouldn't fit a pump on the primary circuit to a primatic, although I have sen it done.

Converting to fully pumped is easy, but keeping a primatic cylinder ?? no chance.

I was taking that it was a standard cylinder which is far more common than a primatic even on gravity,
BUT Gorepairs you can make a primatic fully pumped, before you answer do a little research ;)
Ok firstly we can only answer from our own exeriences and I can honestly say I have never seen an indirect (coil type cylinder) used on gravity hot water(you can but I never have). And as for having a primatic cylinder on a fully pumped system - well heres a link to what a primatic cylinder looks like inside.
http://www.salamander-engineering.co.uk/technicalcentre/faq/faq.htm#primatic
(You can see what problems that would cause).

I am off now to do some research to why the plumbing and heating forums are so catty. :D

Don't know where you've been then gorepairs, the majority of systems years ago were all indirect cylinders with gravity HW, especially solid fuel.

Fully pumped systems are a relatively new thing.

Forty years almost to the day since I started and I have fitted umpteen gravity systems including direct. Some of those were fully gravity, heating and hotwater. Solid fuel with unreliable electricity since you ask. In that time I have only ever seen two or three primatics and only fitted one. I would love to work where gore does. They weigh a ton and at current tot prices! mmmmm. :LOL:

Gorepairs i know what a primatic looks like ,seen enough of them .
Obviously your research was not too indepth.
So here is a link for ya.

www.range-cylinders.co.uk/products/primatic

They are piped up with the pump on the reurn when done as fully pumped

Andyplumber they are still avialable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back