Gravity type vent covers vs louvre type vent covers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got a view on which are best? Are there problems with gravity type such as vent not opening enough?

Do gravity ones really keep the cold air out or do they fix a problem that doesn't exist?

Interested in your views!

Sponsored Links
Cheaper ones tend to flap in a passing breeze, which you can hear in the house......is this for an extractor of some kind?
John :)

Ya, one's for an extractor fan and the other for a dryer... does that change anything?

No, not a bit.....the dryer or extractor passes enough volume of air for them to work fine.
You can get a bathroom extractor with internal louvres though which can be beneficial. These slowly open courtesy of a geared solenoid. As for the dryer, its a standard grille or louvre needed.

Sponsored Links
Cheaper ones tend to flap in a passing breeze, which you can hear in the house.......

^^ This ^^ We have what must be a cheap one and I've gaffer taped it shut cos it was driving us nuts at night. Unfortunately, the builders used what seems like two gallons of epoxy to seal it so I'm going to try building it a little shelter to see whether that shuts it up.

cheers - but do you know where they make any difference? Is incoming drafts from louvre type grills really a problemo?

I have exactly the same issue....my next move I think is to try Toolstations 10563 - its a stainless vent so maybe the flaps are heavier.
The louvres on my plastic rubbish flap flip right over and jam open, so you can get a gale blowing back through the kitchen extractor hood. Nice :eek:

cheers - but do you know where they make any difference? Is incoming drafts from louvre type grills really a problemo?
The grill type vent don't work well with tumble dryers as the fluff accumulates more easily in the grill and can block it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back