Great Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother-in-law has a service contract for her bolier with "you know who".

It was tripping out and moaning about the flue, so she called them out.

"Mmmm the flue's not covered, just the bolier. Anyway they don't make those flue's anymore, so it will have to be a new boiler" the expert says.

Knowing that they'd just had the house repointed I had a quick look and cleaned some stray debris out of the flue grill and guess what, it's fine.

I think she could save herself £15 a month.

Sponsored Links

"Mmmm the flue's not covered, just the bolier. Anyway they don't make those flue's anymore, so it will have to be a new boiler" the expert says.

Knowing that they'd just had the house repointed I had a quick look and cleaned some stray debris out of the flue grill and guess what, it's fine.

Typical ****ish gas, let me guess that they arranged a quote for a new boiler for some extortionate amount?

Ripping off old grannies is their bread and butter!

4 years ago my next door neighbours wanted a new boiler fitting by the ompany already alluded to, who advised them that it wouldn't be possible to have a combi due to the size of the house, water prssure and the expected water usage (for the two of them). Thus they were quoted for a gravity fed system with new radiator runs etc.

I spoke to the rep from British Farce who kept telling me (I didn't tell him my day job) that they were 100% right in their diagnosis and recommendations. He was a bit put out when I invited him in for a cup of tea and showed him my own combi which fed three bathrooms with a family of four, compared to my neighbours 1 bathroom and semi retired couple.

What a rip off!!

Sponsored Links

so did ya go back to the builder who potentially put your mother in law at risk or did ya jus blame bg because they didn't sort out someone else's cock up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back