Greedy 30 Amp oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My CU has a separate circuit for my hob. I'll check the exact MCB rating but its either 30 or 40 amps.

I've removed/disconnected my ten year old electric oven and was surprised to discover it was connected to the general ring main circuit all along, protected by a FCU. It was never on its own circuit. Rated at 2.5kW I can understand the decision.

My problem is that the new oven I have in mind ( but have not bought yet ) is rated at 30 Amps i.e. far too powerful and likely to trip the ring main.

So it looks like my only option is to wire the new greedy oven into the dedicated hob circuit. Is this ok ? What if the hob and oven are both running together.. won't this blow the hob circuit ?

Thank you for your help.

( I will be getting a sparky in to do this work . I just want to get the decisions nailed down in advance. )

Sponsored Links
You could use the existing circuit (given the factors in Click's post are acceptable) using diversity. But, as you're having a spark round, let him make that decision.

30A for an oven is unusual. How many ovens and grills does it have? Is it a catering size?

Sponsored Links
30A for an oven is unusual. How many ovens and grills does it have?

I was misinformed. For the oven I have in mind, the max current draw will be 15 or 16 Amps ( depends on exact model ) not 30 Amps. I want to replace the hob at the same time. The max hob rating will be 29 Amps or 32 Amps ( depends on exact hob model ).

Hence my new hob+oven combination will draw something in the range 44 Amps to 48 Amps.

What cable is used for the hob radial and how long is the run?

The run from CU to connection point (?) is about 3 metres. The run from the connection point to the hob is about 1 metre. I *think* the cable is 4mm. The hob radial is protected by a 40 Amp MCB.

My gut feeling is that the 40Amp MCB dedicated hob radial circuit will be ok to power the 44 to 48 Amp hob/oven combination, provided my cable is thick enough.

Is this a valid & safe assumption ?
Should I go to 6mm to be safe ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back