Green And Red TV Screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i have a toshiba 32yt56b tv. The left side of the screen has turned green and the right side has turned red. I have checked all the connections and all ok i am wondering if the tube is on its way out? I have tried all the settings from the remote and no luck. Does anyone know how to cure this or is it dead? Its about 5 years old so probably not worth spending any money on a repair.
Any advise would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the tube has gone.
I'd nip out a check the sales probably decent bargains about at the moment.

The TV has what is known as a degauss fault.If the crt becomes magnetized or it is influenced by a magnetic field it deflects the beam causing it to hit the wrong pixels resulting in displaying wrong colours.There is a circuit in the TV which consists of a thermistor and coil which when the TV is switched on from cold will create a heavy magnetic field which de-magnetises the crt. It is this circuit which in your TV is not functioning.This is a very heavy current circuit and in 9out of 10 cases it is just a dry joint on this cicuit usually on of the thermistor legs.there is a second possible cause in that the shadow mask which is internal in the crt may have shifted, if this is the case the tube is a write off but this is most unlikely.

If you can find a TV engineer in your area (probably retired) see if you can borrow a degaussing coil, you move it round in circles getting further away from the screen and it will demagnetise the shadow mask in the tube and the colours should then be correct, if not as Tockworth says the tube could be faulty. If it works and you move the set from its present position the fault will likely return.

Sponsored Links
I've got to ask... has someone put a strong magnet nearby recently?

Perhaps someone got those little super-strong magnets in their stocking this year and put them down next to the TV for a while? :D

Or have you placed unshielded speakers next to the TV?

You can really screw with the picture of a CRT if you put strong magnetic fields in the vicinity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back