Green belt. It can be done.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning Peeps. Just wanted to let you know that i have managed to get permission to extend my 600 square foot bungalow to 3000 square foot. The steps i took were putting in for an 8m deep rear extension across the whole back of the property, using the neighbourhood consultation scheme. Got that through no problem. I then applied for a cert of lawful developement for a single storey entension 50% width of bungalow each side, and a hip to gable conversion with a rear dormer staying just under 50 cubic meters. Got that through no problem. Then went back to the drawing board and re-designed making sure that the front elevation was narrower than what i could build, and that the footprint was smaller than i could achieve using my n.c.s. and lawful dev. I put a 3/4 first floor on with a big flat roof in order to stay under my existing ridge height. Planning officer did'nt like the flat roof, (which i knew) so i then stuck a pitched roof on the top, and got it through under delegated powers. Result.......

Sponsored Links
Yeah but your a cook and a "television personality." Basically they will let you lot do anything. Us mere plebs wouldn't have stood a snowball in h*lls chance.

Most LPAs have restrictions on extending homes in the green belt; usually they limit the volume increase to a certain figure - usually around 30-40%.
However, what many homeowners don't realize is that permitted development rights are still applicable to houses in the green belt, and you can often get much larger extensions using p.d. than you would if you went through the normal planning permission route.

Sponsored Links
This should be interesting. As previously stated, got PP to extend my current bungalow from aprox 600sq ft to 3000sq ft. This is on greenbelt land, and sits just outside the village. I've now gone back in for PP to basically split this large house into 2, and instead of building one large house, i'm seeking permission to build 2 houses of 1500sqft.
I have made sure that the footprint of the 2 houses added together, is marginally smaller than the 1 big house, and that the bulk (front view, that you can see from the road) of the 2 houses added together, is marginally smaller than the bulk of the big house.
I believe that i am complying with the NPPF, which is basically that i am seeking permission to replace a building which is in the same use, with 2 new dwellings which are not materially larger. NPPF 2018 para.145d and policies CS5 and CS7.
Decision due by end of Jan, so i will keep you posted.
However, in the meantime i am taking sportsmans bets on what you think my chances are......

Up at the Parish Council on Wednesday evening. Will they offer support to my application, or not ? I shall keep anybody interested posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back