Green chipboard vs WBP

Probably should've said: it's a timber-frame bungalow, so the joists sit on 40 x 90 wallplates, sitting on brick sleeper walls (with DPC between) on a concrete oversite. Not sure exactly what the spans are, but from the plan there's 1.2m between the wallplates.

Thanks for explaining SLC, makes sense!

Sponsored Links
Well that makes a bit more sense; so are the joists 40 x 90 or the wall plates? Or both?

Not personally tiled over a suspended floor like yours before, more used to typical 1st floor joist sizes. Although a 1.2m span (if that’s what you have) is within the maximum for your joist size @ 400 pitch, without detailed calculations, I’m unsure if floor rigidity will be sufficient for tiling using 18mm ply; I would be inclined to use 22mm or even 25mm as your original thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for all your help. I guess I'll discuss with the tiler and weigh up rigidity vs increase in floor height - I guess the answer might be 22mm plus 3 mm backer or 25mm with no backer; was hoping to get away with less!

Whatever you do don’t compromise on the rigidity; if the floor flexes unduly, the tiles will fail. You may get away with 22mm but I wouldn’t like to say for certain unless I saw it. If you decide to go with 25mm, use ply without the backer board, it will be better than a laminate of ply & backer board & cheaper.

Another possible solution is to beef up the floor joists, you should then be able to drop down to 18mm WBP.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back