Green felt or foam sheets underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It will be for laminate floor in a bedroom and the floor now is floorboards that are not completely flat.
The laminate will be 8mm. I already have fibre board that I took up from the same room directly under the bedroom and have kept it for 5 years thinking I will use it in the bedroom one day. It is the older 7mm stuff and am trying to keep the height down as much as I can.

So Its now that day but now I have seen in wickes 5mm foam sheets and thinking they may be better. Lightweight thinner and not as messy as that green fibre.
The foam sheets were not around when I last layed a laminate floor so have no experiance with them.
The floor will have a 3.5m run of ikea pax floor to ceiling wardrobes along one wall which are heavy.

More info on the floorboards condition, 1960s some have been up twice for central heating - screwed down - split - repaired, some are cupped others are scoped but none really badly and can only tell if you run your hands across.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it solid foam or squishy foam?

I bought a squishy underlay for a laminate in a bedroom and the legs of the bed have sunk in a bit. I should have used the green stuff.

Is it solid foam or squishy foam?

I bought a squishy underlay for a laminate in a bedroom and the legs of the bed have sunk in a bit. I should have used the green stuff.
Maybe your bed get more ‘use’

Sponsored Links
Update on this, I used the foam sheets and they were great to use. I only layed one row at a time as needed so I wasn't kneeling and walking all over them. Nice to work with and easy to cut. I just used gaffer tape to to join and I only use short peices ot tape - just enough to hold the boards in place as I worked. I also staggered the boards.
Time will only tell how well they perform.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back