Green flux on 18 month old pipe, corrosive?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Had a new boiler 18 months ago, but not really seen pipe work as i keep laundry in there

I cleared out the laundry today and saw this green stuff on the pipes, presumably flux?

Is this dangerous? will it be corroding my pipes and how do i get it off if so? i have texted the plumber who did the work and he hasnt replied

Should i get someone to check it?

Thanks

Attachments

• flux.jpg
    flux.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
yes it is flux lazy git didnt wipe after soldering, clean it off with steel wool

Well it has already corroded the copper a bit that is why it is green. But that is unlikely to be a problem for you.

Should have been wiped off when it was first installed.

When he is so careless, I am not surprised he is not replying.

Thanks both he since texted back telling me to wipe it off.

On the other side of the pipe is a small white 'bubble' there is just one and it is dry to the touch (ive circled it)...mineral from condensation?

Attachments

• bubble.jpg
    bubble.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 73
Sponsored Links
Well he was lazy when he did the install.

But "Thanks both he since texted back telling me to wipe it off." that is the height of laziness!

Did he even apologise?

Wiping the pipe is strongly taught when people do college courses. And should be too when he starts practical work on site.

Well he was lazy when he did the install.

But "Thanks both he since texted back telling me to wipe it off." that is the height of laziness!

Did he even apologise?

Wiping the pipe is strongly taught when people do college courses. And should be too when he starts practical work on site.

Given there is a single white bubble on the other side of the pipe, is it over the top to advertise for a different plumber to clean and check the piping?

Hi I am at work so cant check for sure, but i think it is yes the pipe has a ubend to go through that hole, so i think it is the same pipe as the one with flux on it

There is also some plastic piping to the other side of the condensor pump.

On the other side of the pipe is a small white 'bubble' there is just one and it is dry to the touch (ive circled it)...mineral from condensation?
It looks as if there is another blob here as well! :)
Screenshot_20220712-150735_Chrome.jpg

They are just solder blobs from overzealous application of solder and heat. Definitely not an issue in itself :)
As above just gently clean the green corrosion off with some wirewool/ Scotchbrite - don't attempt to shift the blobs!

Hi I am at work so cant check for sure, but i think it is yes the pipe has a ubend to go through that hole, so i think it is the same pipe as the one with flux on it
when you get home post a pic of that complete pump setup showing the pipes of bothe ends, it could be that he has put the boiler pressure releif into the pump

@randomgritch i am going to clean them tonight carefully thanks. I am having a new bathroom in 3 weeks (not the plumber who did this job). I am going to ask him nicely to check my pipes in the boiler area - will hopefully do it for a bit extra.

@Ian will do, he is definitely gas safe registered and there is definitely a plastic pipe on the other side, its the only plastic pipe that goes into the boiler.

More piccies
The yellow is gas? the green on the yellow makes me nervous

Attachments

• 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 2f.jpg
    2f.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 3f.jpg
    3f.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 80

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back