Greenbrook timer T40s

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have a greenbrook timer T40s but cannot get it to work

it needs to power an outside light.

instrutions are terrible!!

all i need to know is where and how to connect the wires coming in to the unit and then the wires going out of the unit to the light.

there are 3 connections on the timer live, load and 2 way

where do i connect my incoming live and neutral and where do i connect the outgoing live and neutral?

i have tried various combinations so far but no joy.

Please can anybody who has had this timer help out.

Sponsored Links
Just to make you aware, I am NOT an electrician, but as far as I can see, the timer only switches the live connection.

I would connect the incoming live to "Live", outgoing live to "Load" and simply put the neutrals together in a connector block and the earths in a connector block as I think these are always "connected" to the light.

Please wait on an experienced electrician confirming this/telling you another way before trying it, I'm sure one will be along soon!

Andrew, you should be an electrician! Your reply looks just fine, to me...

EDIT: To the OP: The drawings aren't terrible. They are on line at http://www.thesitebox.com/Downloads/Public/Timers/T40S.pdf

They are written for someone using this device to replace an existing light switch.

You are wiring something from scratch. The drawings will seem confusing as you don't understand the principles of lighting switching.

Proceed as Andrew has stated and you <should> be OK.

Sponsored Links
gents, i have already tried the way andrew has suggested but no joy.

the display on the timer comes on and fades out. and the manual overide does not switch on the light. do you think that this timer need to be connected to the neutrals?

seems very odd that the switch does not have a connection to link the neutrals if it was a case of choc blocking them together dont you think?

any more advice?

You did read the part in the instructions that says leave the unit powered up for 5 minutes then press the reset button and then leave powered up for a further 45-60 minutes to charge the internal battery up . Try that and then see what happens

Nick

The timer doesn't have neutral connections, as it is intended to replace a normal light switch, which in most cases won't contain any neutral wires.

It relies on a tiny current via the lamp to charge the internal battery, hence it needs a significant time to charge up, and won't work if the lamp is broken. Using it with a CFL or other non-incandescent lamp will probably cause problems, as will leaving the lamp switched on for an extended period (when the lamp is on, the battery won't be charging).

It is also made by Greenbrook, so is likely to be a piece of overpriced unreliable junk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back