Greenhouse wiring any electricians out there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a bit of advice. I have a lean to greehouse next to my garage wall. I intend putting a small 1kw greenhouse heater in there and would like to know can I
1. simply run the cable from the heater through a hole in the wall into the garage and plug into existing socket via RCD.
Or do I need to
2. Have a new outdoor socket attached to the outside garage wall (lean to wall) for the heater to plug into.
If 2 is the right way to do it does it need a spur or simply plug into existing socket?
as I assume 2 is notifiable I will have to get someone to do it but just need to Know my options.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Number 1 sounds like a plan...there are better ways of doing this as you say installing a new socket within your greenhouse would be one of them...

With it being a greenhouse and growing plants and plants needing water...will this be a risk? Are you likely to try and make your heater grow by watering it :rolleyes:

Option 1 is by far the cheapest. Just the cost of an RCD socket/adapter if you don't already have one.

Option 2 is a much better idea as it gives you the option to plug in other portable appliances, plus it is a more permanent, neater and safer job. But as you are notifying yourself, or employing an electrician to do the work and notify for you, it will cost much more.

Sponsored Links
option 1 is the best since it keeps the electrics out of the greenhouse where you will be watering etc..

tubular heaters are generaly waterproof..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back