Greenstar 24Ri is constantly on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

Initially boiler was not igniting. I reset the boiler as per the manual. Now it is constantly on. Can anyone please advise what to next?

Here are some facts.

I have British gas control panel UP1. When OFF is selected for CH and HW, boiler still stays on. Timed selections does not make any difference. Choosing HW on or CH on, does not make any difference.

Only way to turn the boiler is switching of the controller from the fused switch. (Controller still has screen. But buttons are not responding)

When I turn the controller on, boiler does not ignite. Blue light is flashing slowly. Blue light is mostly off & flashes on.

To put the boiler on again I need to reset the boiler manually each time.

I have British gas thermostat RS1. It does not click. I took the thermostat off & measured the power with multimeter. When the controller is on, there 240V power on the thermostat. When the controller is off from mains, no power as expected.

I checked the HW and CH actuators when the boiler is on. When I pull the lever to manual for HW actuator, I hear whirling sound and there is resistance. CH is loose and moves without sound right and left. Just in case I have ordered Danfoss HPA2 actuator and valve.

Is it PCB, thermostat, controller or operator aka me?

Thanks

Erkan

Sponsored Links
If you turn power off totally ,what does the heating zone valve do ?

Sponsored Links
You are right Ian.

After Terry's question I solved the mystery. Thank you both.

Issue is faulty 3rd actuator.

Somehow when previous owners built the conservatory, they have added single rad with it's own actuator, instead of integrating into existing heating zone. This rad had Horstman actuator. It was the culprit. Actuator was stuck in manual and kept sending conflicting messages to the controller and boiler. I took the actuator off and dismantled it. I saw it was stuck in manual operation. When initially boiler ignites, this broken actuator keeps the boiler on constantly. Without broken actuator boiler, control panel and thermostat work without issue.
Luckily in next 2 weeks I am getting hot water cylinder changed to indirect unvented one. I will get this single rad to be integrated or exchange the actuator & valve to Danfoss HPA2.

upload_2021-2-24_15-23-9.png upload_2021-2-24_15-23-30.png

Somehow when previous owners built the conservatory, they have added single rad with it's own actuator,
This is the correct way to do it , because it is a conservatory, but just do as you say, the conservatory police wont come knocking at your door

False remedy.
Boiler started to do same thing again. I need to reset the boiler few times to ignite. Something is not right.

Last edited:
I think you have two seperate faults, the fault code you have is Ign failure, usually associated with a flue or condensate fault, when was the boiler last properly serviced and by properly I mean a full strip down service , not a poke and go which most large companies do

No service at all since we moved in years ago.

Do you think heating engineer who will come next week can have a look at it?

Or should I get EON gas boiler breakdown insurance which comes with the boiler service?

EON wont service it, they will poke and go, get Worcester out to service it or fixed price repair, if it hasnt been serviced for a long time I would go for FPR

I have realised one more thing. When I turn other two zone valves to manual, reset works and boiler works. If I leave it with BG UP1 controller and as auto, boiler does not ignite.

It seems I will wait until next week and if needed get FPR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back