Greenstar 38CDi Classic over pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, please help with a strange issue...
Been away for 2 weeks and when I returned, I checked the boiler as I always do. and the gauge was in the red. Bleed some water out to bring it back to normal. But how did this happen. I usually leave the key in the locked position. do you think that somehow water managed to slowly pressurise the system?
I have now taken out the key, will this stop this happening? if it was the case?

Thanks in advance.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/conversations/add#ixzz5rP0iqRuk

Sponsored Links
Always remove the key, if it still over pressurizes the Plate heat exchanger has probably pinholed

Hi Ian thanks for your quick reply, the boiler is still under warranty and is less than 3 years old. I just called customer service and they said that this sometimes happen depending on air pressure and temperature !!
They also said they would not send out an engineer for this....so I guess I will just have to keep an eye on it
Many thanks for you help.

If you remove the key and it still over pressurises get them out, they will change the plate under warranty, the good thing about a warranty call from worcester is that their engineer loses his bonus if there is a recall so he/she will change anything that is slightly suspect to protect their bonus, I had the exact same scenario a few months back and called it in for my customer and the lad nearly re-built the boiler

Sponsored Links
Now that it's over pressurised you should check the safety valve pipe isn't dripping...

Ian/Gasguru
Thanks for your reply, having removed the key yesterday, it appears that there is a constant drip, about a cup full overnight. Have checked the tap is fully off. Is this Ok? shall I put the key back in? or is this the source of the overpressure? Do you think this is worthy of a call out?

Thanks guys

yes call them out just say that when you remove the charging key that there is a constant drip with the valve fully closed and when they turn up tell them that if you leave the key in it over pressurises

Thanks all for the help, have now got a call out for tomorrow. I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks again for the excellent advise.

Hello Guys
Had a call out and he changed the fill valve assembly, apparently it was slowly filling up the system. All seems fine now. He recommended leaving the key in.
Thanks for your help, lets hope no more emergencies....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back