Greetings from a Tiler

Sponsored Links
Wow. That's impressive stuff. I notice everything you tile is perfectly square - do you use a lot of backer board, plasterboard and leveling compound?

Wow. That's impressive stuff. I notice everything you tile is perfectly square - do you use a lot of backer board, plasterboard and leveling compound?

I use self leveller where necessary - if the customer wants a good job
then they will have to pay for it... in the long run is no more
expensive than the extra adhesive and time trying to level floor. Work
with a lot of large format and natural stone .. substrate needs to be
good.
Also walls need to be prepared to good standard before I start..
whatever is required... Ply, plasterboard, tile backer, wedi, plaster.
Hope it shows ?
Thanks nick

Sponsored Links

I use self leveller where necessary - if the customer wants a good job
then they will have to pay for it... in the long run is no more
expensive than the extra adhesive and time trying to level floor. Work
with a lot of large format and natural stone .. substrate needs to be
good.
Also walls need to be prepared to good standard before I start..
whatever is required... Ply, plasterboard, tile backer, wedi, plaster.
Hope it shows ?
Thanks nick

Yes it certainly shows. Maybe you could give a bit of a masterclass so that part timers like me can pick up a few tips.

OK. In a shower cubicle what type of backer board do you prefer or do you prefer tanked plasterboard?

Do you use a radial arm cutter for those big sheets?

What do you use as a sealant on your natural stone tiles?

Just depends upon what type of install I am doing, the background is often plaster or plasterboard which is tanked - taking weight of tiles into account.
Otherwise may use marine ply which is tanked, wedi board or a wet room kit from Total Wet Room Solutions
I often use an angle grinder for large slabs as with practice you can acheive excellent results. Otherwise I will use my RUBI wet saw, has a powefull 2hp induction motor, with a 300mm blade. It will cut through any tile easily, even house bricks and flags.
I use the LTP brand of sealers and colour intensifiers, they are easy to apply and leave no residue.
I also have a variable speed makita grinder which I use with polishing pads to acheive nice polished edges on travertine marble etc.. looks better than trim or just butt jointing.
I have posted a couple of photos of wet saw in my album

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back