greetings, piccies, floor preparation and cork tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy new year to you all. Many thanks for help last year with my bathroom project which is now nearly complete - particularly gcol. One of the best bits of advice was to use an off-white grout - we used ivory and the results look good and my other half was very pleased - many thanks for that.

I'm asking the site to add some piccies that I'm sending - someone asked if I would. These are preliminary one which show some work in progress. I'll send some more later if anyone is interested.

I don't do this sort of work very often but was still surprised how how long some of the planning and preparation took. I found doing around the window particularly awkward especially the metal trim.

I also found that when you are actually tiling and your face is close up to everything, even small inaccuracies appear large. Grouting was very satisfying and seems to hide some of my less than perfect efforts.

Right, now I'm onto the floor and bathpanel. I'm going to do coloured cork tiles (60 x 40). Have been building a frame on the edge of the bath to take its side panel. When checking the fit with the lower panel I realised the floor is not level. Under the centre of the panel it is almost 10mm, then tapers away all around. My plumber laid ply (6mm) over the floorboards to create an smooth surface - he didn't matter to him that it wasn't level.

Question is - can I lay a suitable floor leveling compound on the ply? If so what might be best. I looked at something in Wickes that said it was suitable for concrete and wood. If this is possible I guess I would be looking at a couple of layers.

Many thanks again - sorry if this is too long again.

Sponsored Links
Glad it's worked out well so far.
Cork tiles? Are these actually ceramic or are they cork?

Hi, yes they are 100% cork. Ordered from a company in Sussex who do a range of types. They look good. Cork can't absorb a huge amount of colour though. I've always liked the feel of cork and its good for dulling sound and insulation too I think. I suppose you could add that it has the advantage of being a sustainable product which must be a plus in these times - although you do have to use several coats of varnish.

Did you see my last bit about my non-level floor? Question whether to use a levelling compound or not. I am tempted to ignore it and silicone the gap under the bath panel at the end.

I suppose with the flexibility of these large cork tiles they should mould to the overall floor curve.

Many thanks once again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back