Grid alert as families face cold weather power cuts.

Sponsored Links
200508291516220.Honda%20RC166%20250cc%206-Cyl.%20Piston%20and%20Rod.jpg

Surely this couldn't achieve much? go to
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39439&start=24
To see more...

"Coun Ron Mein said he had been given disturbing information from a local teacher that youngsters were using...."

I would hope he'd go along and observe for himself ... Should have thought the self illuminators would be useful for showing the road direction .. but perhaps that was a different stretch without the solars.
:confused:

Stoday said:
The numbers Big_Spark gives to justify his absurd figure for the cost per street light of £5728 per light per year are ludicrous.

"some are Photo-cell operated, and some are timeclock operated and some are both"

So someone's paying an extra £400+ a year for a timeswitch as well as a photocell to save - what? There's no energy saving because the kWh are not measured but assessed per kW of lamp (and control gear) load.

Post and lantern cost over £3600 a year. Observation in my neighbourhood suggests that changing once every five years must be very excessive. But that would put the cost of a street light at £18,000. That's crazy.

For the most part, lighting that gets damaged in accidents gets paid for by car insurance companies.

So we are left with the situation whereby either the councils don't know how to do their sums or Big_Spark has got it wrong.

Form on other threads of this forum suggest the latter.

Stoday..go back and read my post, stop focusing on one apsect of it to try to stir shiite..The costs take into account other factors which seem to be hidden but are not..That is they focus on the lamp post replacement, but in fact 60% of the costs are in the replacement of self-illumninating signs and other road signs damaged by accidents, vadalism, old age etc etc..

These smaller units are replaced at rates fare and away in excess of the lamp posts..if you READ my post you will see I acknowledge this..

Also these are NOT my figures, but figures from local authorities and the Government Depts...

So fecking tell them their wrong..

Sponsored Links
empip said:
"Coun Ron Mein said he had been given disturbing information from a local teacher that youngsters were using...."

I would hope he'd go along and observe for himself ... Should have thought the self illuminators would be useful for showing the road direction .. but perhaps that was a different stretch without the solars.
:confused:

This is just one of a number of reports in the local papers of driving without headlights at night on this stretch of road. Used normally, the solar cats eyes do work and illuminate the road well but stupid behaviour caused by them can outweigh the advantages. (the A590 is one of the highest death toll roads in Cumbria).

I would put traffic lights, or more correctly the idiots responsible for sequencing, at the top of the list for wasting energy. This absolute obsession with making sure you don't make the next set (unless you have a Ferrari or such like)must waste millions of gallons of fuel a year, plus you also have the extra pollution and driver stress too.

Roundabouts are another example of waste too. In countless places we used too have lights which have been replaced with roundabouts which are then given lights again, effectively putting you back where you were in the first place!

Another one that annoys me is traffic lights which are erected for new office developments etc. Why do they still work at weekends when the buildings are obviously empty?

Gripe over.

All meant to slow one down unnecessarily and dissuade one from driving, our large local roundabout sprouted traffic lights and dangerously separate pedestrian lights immediately next within 3 or 4 metres .. times I have witnessed someone drive through on red having been greened at the traffic lights ! Anyway we now have huge yellow boxes which makes it impossible to negotiate the roundabout without breaking the law concerning entering box ...
:D

I cannot remember which country it was in..perhaps one of the equally travelled members can fill this in and remind me of the location..but years ago I was somewhere where the traffic lights only operate in the usual fashion during the daylight hours when the roads are busy..after, I think, about 20:00hrs they go to flashing ambers only, warning drivers of a hazard and to slow down.

It seemed to work, I never saw anyone have an accident..but then I was only there as a visitor so hardly definitive..but I was amazed at how well the traffic flowed at night..and it was busy on a couple of occasions..

Come on..someone here must know where this was..I suspect South America..Possibly Peru or Chile..but I am far from sure.

oilman said:
david and julie said:
Gripe over.

Thank goodness for that.

Keep your trap shut ar**sole your halitosis is making my eyes water.

My post was on topic and inoffensive, yours was again an off topic load of claptrap.

david and julie said:
oilman said:
david and julie said:
Gripe over.

Thank goodness for that.

Keep your trap shut ar**sole your halitosis is making my eyes water.

My post was on topic and inoffensive, yours was again an off topic load of claptrap.

Oh thank you so much for your demonstration of an inoffensive post, and a happy new year to you .........not :p What's the matter, domestics not going right? Obviously something to destabilise such a well mannered person to the abuse level, go and find a roundabout with lights on.

Oilman, I prefer a challenge to the challenged. The posts are there for all to see, you were the offensive one, not me. I only replied to your post in the same manner as you.

Sponsored Links
Back