Grid Switch & Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Part of my first fix was to install a grid switch, part of this is a fridge freezer and a dishwasher. On the first fix they have installed the ring to the gridswitch ie a loop of cable.
What I am wondering is how this would be installed, they both have separate load cables but not sure how the supply works.
Do they supply the first switch and then go to the second switch and then back to the rest of the ring?
Or should they install a wago connector or something to continue the supply and create an additional two supplies to the switches?
This has always intrigued me

Sponsored Links
If the grid switch is to be supplied by the ring circuit, they simply run one leg to the supply side of the first switch, then some short wires from here to the second switch, where the the other leg of the ring gets connected.

So every point has two cables feeding it.

Each load cable goes to the appropriate load side of each switch.

Hope this helps.

OK I think I get it, currently I have the Ring Loop, lets say these are end A and end B when they are cut

A into supply of first switch
Short wires between first and second switch (supply)
B into supply of second switch

This will continue the ring

Sponsored Links
Often the grid switch will take a maximum of 2 x 2.5 mm² per terminal, so it has to be each switch as part of ring or you would need three wires in one switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back