Grill in Oven Tripping Mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Wondering if anyone can help. I have a single oven with grill (Zan 360X). It is about 2 months old, and is connected by a 13amp plug to a socket via a junction box spur as its only 2.1Kw. When I put the grill on, after about 5 minutes the mains trips. Not just the electrical circuit, everything. What could this be? The oven works absolutley fine, and from what I can understand is more powerfull than the grill :?: :?:

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have an earth fault that is tripping an RCD, rather than an overload, which would most likely blow the fuse in the plug top, rather than a breaker at the mains.

Sponsored Links
The main breaker is tripping, does this then sound like an earth problem? If so, how do I check it?

Sounds like your 'Main Breaker' is a RCD. Has it a 'test' or 'T' button?
If so you might like to consider converting to a split load board and putting the cooker circuit on the Non RCD protected side.
In the meantime you will need to fault find the oven. Sorry no other alternative.

stugoodman said:
The main breaker is tripping,

YES, BUT WHAT DOES IT SAY ON IT???? for starters, there are three types of incomer for consumer units:

1. double pole MCBs. These act the same as the others in your consumer unit, but isolate the neutral when they trip. They simply react to overcurrent events

2. RCD. This trips on an earth fault, and the switch is accompanied by a button labelled "test" it will have an earth leakage sensitivity on it somewhere, usually 100mA, 30mA, 0.03A, 0.1A and so forth, as well as a max. current rating, something like 63A, 80A, 100A.

3. Mainswitch - this is a simple 2 pole switch and will never trip unless you switch it off.

WHAT DO YOU HAVE? if you still cannot figure it out, a picture would be great.

Okay, sorry.

The main RCD is MK LN5760s and the circuit one is MK LN5932s

the LN5760s is the one that is tripping with the Grill on.

Hope this helps

Regards

Stuart

The 5760 is a 63A 30mA RCD, so yes, it looks like you have an earth fault - a knackered grill element most likely...

The 5932 is a 20A MCB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back