Grinding/shaping sharp ‘concrete’ edges???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grinding/shaping sharp ‘concrete’ edges???

My drive is block paved and part of it is a few inches higher than the surrounding area. The paving blocks in this particular area are retained by a lengths of concrete edging.

However, the outside edges of the concrete edging-strips are 90 degrees and are quite sharp as you’d imagine.

I’d like to round-off the sharp edges for 2 reasons;...they’d look aesthetically more pleasing and also they’d be easier on my car tyres!

Would a grinder and discs leave a decent smooth finish or would it tend to just shatter the edges?...any other solutions?

It’s donkeys years since I used an angle grinder and then it was only for cutting rather than sanding/shaping.

What to do?....all and any advice/suggestions gratefully received.

p.s. are these items from Toolstation ok to use for this job?

https://www.toolstation.com/dpc-stone-grinding-disc/p18118

https://www.toolstation.com/dewalt-dwe4016-gb-4-12-angle-grinder/p79333

Sponsored Links
Yeah, stone grinding disc, but it’ll wear down quick. A diamond cutting disc may also do it if you go gently on an angle and would last longer

Yeah, stone grinding disc, but it’ll wear down quick. A diamond cutting disc may also do it if you go gently on an angle and would last longer

Thanks for that;...would both types of disc give a nice smooth finish?

You’re not going to get it mega smooth by eroding it with a grinder, you could potentially get a polisher on it after grinding (car polisher type with diamond pad) but you may not need to. Just start gently and get a feel for it

Sponsored Links
You need to use a "diamond concrete grinding disc". I've had one for years but never got round to using it, but it's the tool for the job.

Yeah fair point about the cup wheel, I kinda forgot about them and yes more suited and easier

I would slice the corner off with a diamond cutting disc then finish with the grinding cup ,much less dust that way as the sliced off corner is in a lump and not gradually ground to powder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back